3DCoat Forums

Bsurfaces v1.5

JimB

• Reputable Contributor

That's pretty cool. This is actually something I would like to see for 3DC Retopo. I really think doing Retopo in NURBS could virtually eliminate Snapping problems (Fewer control points/loops = much less complexity), and simplify the whole process...similar to making edgeloop guides with Autopo. Then a user could have the option to merge to Polygons or NURBS. This could really be a boon for those who need to move the model into a Solid Surface/NURBS type of program.

The other benefit is that it would be another good alternative to Autopo, and require less cleanup.

• Advanced Member

I agree with you AbnRanger!! I hope that next 3dcoat update will go in this direction..., because this plugin is really interesting, I think buy it.

++Chris

• Advanced Member

This seems like it would make allow blender to do the same as Moi, Rhino, SU etc for a much lower price. This looks like a really great blender addon.

As well as Retopo this type of thing could work well with voxel editing. Then probably with voxel generation also and could use liveclay style technology in a similar way to SeamNet Meshes in groboto for nice meshes automatically -

http://www.groboto.com/v3/Documentation/ToolsMethods/MeshCreation/index.html

It would be amazing to have these types of tools in 3DC. :D

• Advanced Member
This seems like it would make allow blender to do the same as Moi, Rhino, SU etc for a much lower price

SU? You mean a plugin there because SU is free. There isn't any so great ruby plugin though.

It seems like blender became an excellent retopo tool.

• Advanced Member

But I'm still trying the free b-surf 0.8 v and only crashings and wrong surfaces for the moment. Though I watched some tutorials. BTW the most videos in U-tube demonstrate the same crashing issue.

Maybe it's time for blender to be commercial and stop developing a chaotic massive app full of unfinished algorithms. I'm not complaining for lost donations because these were donations anyway. Just saying...

Even for the excellent cycles, I have the feeling that they'll go for commercial product. Who knows.

• Advanced Member
Maybe it's time for blender to be commercial and stop developing a chaotic massive app full of unfinished algorithms.

Sorry to interrupt, but that is not true for the current version of Blender. Please try Blender and, like any complex software, give yourself enough time with it, i promise it will grow on you. I believe you'll see its not chaotic nor unfinished but very complete and stable. Also the Blender Foundation will never make Blender or Cycles commercial, legally its nearly impossible.

As a sidenote, the GSoC "Onion" branch is currently improving the sculpting and painting in Blender. May be of interest too.

• Advanced Member

Hey Grandmaster B, "Please try Blender and..."

Is this an advice? To try blender? LOL Me? You could visit blnderartists, I think I've some reputation there. BTW my two renders in 3dc gallery are indeed blender renders.

I'm using the latest builds and still same problems with b-surf. Not only me...

Chaotic indeed but I love it. Haven't seen any new build with b-spheres or skin-mod yet, have you?

As for cycles, it wasn't my idea, there gonna be some commercial product, even the name cycles will change.

• Advanced Member

:drinks:

Don't worry, like Blender, Cycles will always be free under the terms of the GPL. If there will be commercial products that are based on Cycles is another question. Like there are commercial, rebranded versions of Blender... I guess that Cycles will be modified and made available in other CG packages, i heard something like that. Doesnt change things for Cycles or the GPL tho.

I dont saw any chaos or unfinished algorithms but like 3D-Coat, Blender is a moving target that lives and dies from its community and contributors. Maybe a little chaos is not a bad thing there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

This looks pretty interesting. The music was bugging me out after a while though. lol

Edit: Ohh it's a blender add-on. I thought some parts looked like blender.

Yes the music - it's like coming off heroine in a milk bottle factory. Sheeesh had me sliding down a tilted room by my finger nails.

Very interesting. Functionality wise what I've been hoping for for some time regards a variant on the voxel sketch tool , i.e allowing intuitive , fast interactive spline and sweep modes.

Spline voxel interactions and spaced voxel object replications along splines are a wish for V4.