3DCoat Forums

An impressive VideoGame art

• Advanced Member

Hi Guys,

Yep, another very inspiring thread.....a week or so back there was also this one.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=145403

So inspired, I have been searching for just the right video tutorial that will help me understand the correct workflow to create this type of work.

Still on the look out. There where one or two at Eat 3D but not quite what I was looking for.

Just a simple detailed rock platform from start to finish would be nice.

• Advanced Member
So inspired, I have been searching for just the right video tutorial that will help me understand the correct workflow to create this type of work.

What about the 3dcoat tutorials ;)

A rock tutorial could start like this:

1 watch, understand how rocks are

2 fast voxel sculpting, one of the best tools in this case is [E] / select [surround area with lines] / hold ctrl to cut

3 do some surface sculpting via projections

4 Use a ready rocky shader.

The clever trick now.

5 export a triangulated mesh under vox palette / decimator at maximum to have ~1-3 K mesh.

6. Import this obj under retopo room/ retopo menu as the retopo mesh

7 Make seams and unwrap

8 bake as PPP

9 do more painting and bumps in paint room.

As rocks aren't animated subjects and triangulation is the best.

20 min for this at 1.5k PPP

3dctestRock.jpg

IMO 3DCoat is the right app for this job. And the fastest way

• Advanced Member

Hi micahlis,

"IMO 3DCoat is the right app for this job. And the fastest way " I would have to agree, but...

I personally love using both apps closely together. One of my standard workflows:

Quick Sculpt of base mesh in ZBrush with Zspheres / Export to 3DCoat for additional Voxel Sculpting /then Retopology ,UV Mapping and PPP or PTex /

back to ZBrush for finer detailing and painting.

" The clever trick now.

5 export a triangulated mesh under vox palette / decimator at maximum to have ~1-3 K mesh.

6. Import this obj under retopo room/ retopo menu as the retopo mesh

7 Make seams and unwrap

8 bake as PPP

9 do more painting and bumps in paint room "

This was the part I was looking for, thanks heaps. I have noticed that most NextGen Props are created with triangles that can be rather large.

I am guessing all the detailing will bake to this with no problems.

If I was to design a talking or moving rock, would you then suggest quads? Can both be used on the same mesh ?

It's the little things like this I am chasing, when and when not to so to speak, the basic rules.

Once you have the basics you can branch out in your own direction after that.

Cheers Ady

• Advanced Member

A talking rock?

The difficult is what parts will be animated, better go for quads in this case. You're alone on this, you have to decide what loop you need. A great idea though :drinks:

BTW I was thinking on a funny scene, Abu Simbel, four statues of Ranses talking, not just talking I mean. LOL

• Advanced Member

sculpting the rocks /assetpost-2581-0-47023400-1311597915_thumb.jp is the easy part, quick 3DCoat Sculpt.

OK, for a Next Gen game asset the smallest amount of triangles (or quads?) would be required but first I need a High res

painted model to bake the details onto a low Poly triangulated UV mesh.

Onto that mesh I need to bake Diffuse, Specular, Normal or Bump or both, possible Displacement Map ( not sure on that one )

and a Specular map. If the rock was made of three parts, would all the UV's be required to fit onto a 2048 x 2048.

• Advanced Member

A talking rock?

The difficult is what parts will be animated, better go for quads in this case. You're alone on this, you have to decide what loop you need. A great idea though :drinks:

BTW I was thinking on a funny scene, Abu Simbel, four statues of Ranses talking, not just talking I mean. LOL

Now that's a good idea, would love to hear how the conversation would go.... :)

• Advanced Member
OK, for a Next Gen game asset the smallest amount of triangles (or quads?) would be required but first I need a High res

painted model to bake the details onto a low Poly triangulated UV mesh.

Onto that mesh I need to bake Diffuse, Specular, Normal or Bump or both, possible Displacement Map ( not sure on that one )

and a Specular map. If the rock was made of three parts, would all the UV's be required to fit onto a 2048 x 2048.

My advise for rocks sculpting was "fast voxel sculpting, one of the best tools in this case is [E] / select [surround area with lines] / hold ctrl to cut "

You need some geometrical clean structure, like cubism I could say. Just project a noisy mask + airbrush in vox mode on this and have a nice convincing rock. In any case, avoid typical sculpting as clay or something. IMO

You don't really need a hi poly output (you have the high frequency in vox mode anyway) because in 3dc you gonna paint details-noise in paint room.

You're asking for displacement map and the right way is to go for Microvertex mode. Later you can export any detailed mesh and / or nice disp maps.

Assets then. An idea for complex rocky scenes is to make modules. Five or six smaller rocks and combine them as huge constructions. Why not? Avoiding loads of lot of textures.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for all the tips micahlis,

Found this today:

http://www.zspline.net/blog/a-3d-game-asset-workflow-part-i/

Small question for you:

" the best tools in this case is [E] / select [surround area with lines] / hold ctrl to cut " - Screen shot of this please ( only if you have time ).

Cheers Ady