3DCoat Forums

.3b file is empty when opened.

Hello,

I am hoping someone can assist me with this very frustrating issue. I have been working on a model off and on for the past week and my last saved file is about 30 megabits. When I go to open it, it takes a while to open and when it does, its empty. My model and all voxel layers are gone. I spent 4 hours on it today and I REALLY don't want to have to start over. Does anyone know how I can recover/open the file normally?

Hi!

Sorry for the slow reply. I have tried opening your file, and something is definitely awry. The file size indicates something should be there, but nothing shows up in the viewport. When I try to go to the retopo room, 3DC crashes instantly. I am unsure what would cause this, however, I did have a similar issue back around the release of 3.5. I notice you mentioned you're using that build, the fix Andrew did should have fixed it, but I cannot however shake the feeling that these two bugs are related.

I have notified Andrew of this bug, as well. I'm sure he'll crush it like the weaselly little thing it is! :p

Also I highly recommend using a newer build than 3.5, 3DC has change so very much since the release of 3.5. I think you'll enjoy it (not too mention it is much more stable than previous builds)!

Hi Blacktop,

~

I am hoping someone can assist me with this very frustrating issue. I have been working on a model off and on for the past week and my last saved file is about 30 megabits. When I go to open it, it takes a while to open and when it does, it's empty. My model and all voxel layers are gone. ~

I'm just wondering if you're trying to open that 3b file by just clicking on it?...

Personally I've never had a 3b file open in that way & have anything within it...I've always had to open 3D-Coat & then navigate to the required 3b file to view what's in it.

Maybe your in the same situation & that your actual file is still all OK?

HTH, Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I heard from Andrew on this, apparently the bug I was mentioning was in previous builds reared it's ugly head upon your file, causing it to become corrupt. Unfortunately the file is definitely not retrievable, I'm sorry to say. :( Please though, definitely use the newest stable build (IMHO 3.5.19A) to avoid any weirdness from that bug any longer... Here is the URL:

http://3d-coat.com/download/older-version/

Hi again,

Do you think you could send the file (or a link to download the file) directly to Andrew so he can take a look at it? His email is support AT 3d-coat DOT com

Please also mention the URL of this page to Andrew in the email so he knows what to reference. Thanks!