3DCoat Forums

ZBrush R2

Hello dear Michalis,

the video maybe is too fast and too short to understand something clearly.

Usually there is always a guy who speaks about this and that feature.

I think that there are a mix of what you have said.I notice a lot use

of voxel sculpting.But this time I prefer wait until the official date.

Too much hype can kill you :) Anyway I think that we can expect some welcome

and also log time wished surprises! I hope also they consider a better 2.5 D rendering engine!

Also 64 bit are welcome!It is the only serious 3d digital sculpting application at 32 bit.

• Advanced Member

There's no way Zbrush is that fast or intuitive to use. Its some guy with a million shortcuts.

Its like selling a space shuttle to a lay person. No ordinary person would know all the shortcuts, the majority of people dont even use shortcuts. I'm betting the workflow is so convaluted its quicker to do it in standard program.

• Like 1

In my opinion it looks really interesting. I don't care about shortcuts or usability. It always the user itself, not the tool. Every tool have an own usebility philosophy, 3D Coat too. And the preview of the new zBrush version looks good and goes to the right direction.

• Advanced Member
And the preview of the new zBrush version looks good and goes to the right direction.

@Taros,

Take a closer look on this presentation. They demonstrate a new shadow box (the first part), a fast painting (anatomy) using cavity mask (they mean they fixed it, was buggy in v4 #1) and wow some boolean like operations. I don't see any kind of dynamic tessellation though, sculptris like. They still don't demonstrate layered polypainting. Neither a better retopology tool. Jaws down, most zbrush users wrote and even 'this is the end of 3dcoat'. Oh OK. They clearly know nothing about 3dcoat. What an excited way to build this house like nonsense. Having a ridiculous cubic projected brick texture. And how fast this video runs. How much time they needed to model this? Just for fun, and imported and rendered in zbrush for more fun, in 10 mins I modeled this (nonsense again). And after another 10 min I retopo it. (chain is exported directly under curves palette so nice topo already). But jaws don't drop here, we add and abstract volumes all the time.

nons.jpg

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=152654&page=1&pp=15

What do we see in this video?

UVs? Dynamic tessellation? Voxels? Booleans?

What do you think? I'm a little confused. Not the first time from Pixo's announcements.

I do not know B) , but I support 3D Coat. ;)

Veehoy

It looks like the opposite operation of shadowbox. If it was like sculptris, an orgy of sculpting should follow. What is this 'UV testing like' map?

Don´t know, but seeing that first part with mesh extrusion and then all the boolean/slicing tools, isn´t it logic that these tools also would benefit from the dynamic tesselation? Not saying it would be a fully fledged implemented sculptris yet, but the first steps at least.

Hi,

It's nice to see devoted people here :) I have been using 3D-Coat and ZBrush side by side quite long time and for me it's impossible to say witch I prefer over another. One is better in one thing and one on another. Besides only their goal is similar, not the way there. I just can't compare these two side by side... And little competition between software's benefits us all. Who would not like new toys...

• Advanced Member

Agreed jpvikholm!

What is missing from 3dcoat is a zbrush room (quad surf displacement modeler and pose setting). Oh, and better tuned tools of course.

What is missing from zbrush is a PPP mode and a decent and clever retopo tool. Especially now, having the excellent sculptris and a great GoZ link.

Both apps have interesting preview renders though zb develops it rapidly when 3dc render room stays as it is.

These apps can be powerful as illustration tools so better Andrew has a look on this. Render room UI is for the birds in latest builds.

• Advanced Member

Don't under estimate the humble retopo tool of zbrush. People just reads tuts and don't know the secret. Typical Zb UI. :p:

Append a zsphere in tools palette, select it, resize it small in the middle of the target mesh [E], go to edit again [Q] and ask for retopo (palette). Only this way. You can't see the back faced quads. You can use huge -even vertices- n-gons and zb automatically quadrangulates them. And peak the bump shader, it helps viewing. [Alt] deletes vertices, [ctrl] selects what you're drawing from, [w] moves them

You may find it as fast as the manual 3dc retopo, even functioning smoother in some cases. Having a real time preview always [A].

Many ways to skin a cat. 8)

true for some situations such as not over complicated characters, but for all other crazy situations that these tools bring, i think manual would be their only option with autoretopo as their base :good:

Btw thanks for the zb tip, didn't know about it as i never considered zb retopo, like many users ;)

• Advanced Member

:rofl:

True Beat, better delete and reassign them. But zb uses a better algorithm for snapping I guess. When re projecting.

But you can use simple constructions ~500 faces (some tri are OK) and when subdividing , results are better than autopo. Try few faces in 3dc and see if they also work. If you just manage to draw them. Another useful tool :drinks:

Or try to hide some parts in 3dc when retopo, or give some thickness to a sureface (clothes). Or try to fix all these "useful" n-gons. N-gones in topology!? 3DC retopo is superior but needs some more love.

No, retopology won't bring zbrush users here. They mostly prefer silo, topogun and even blender. Blender retopo, have you tried this? Some great great tricks there. Talking about useful tools... there's am extrude tool in 3dc topo. How is this helpful? It should, as in blender.

Talking about retopo and Blender - I'm currently hooked on Bsurfaces. Actually Bsurfaces are one reason why I have again brought Blender to my workflow. As a ZBrush user I prefer this set and 3D-Coat. Silo and others are little inflexible to my taste ;)

• Advanced Member

Sounds like they now have Auto-Retopology and took it a step further in that it is done automatically while you create the mesh rather than as an extra tool. If that guess is correct though it would mean it will probably only apply for sculpts done in the program rather than being able to import any model.

It could also be something like LiveClay which the sculptris dev probably added in so it only adds details where needed and makes things more optimized.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

In the wild wild west... you know.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=157573&page=1&pp=15

Noticed the density counter up there? Not live refresh. Does this means that we have to click on a 'remesher like' palette from time to time? Is this a remesher automation or something similar? When they don't give you informations... only dark thoughts.

Do we see boolean operations or a remeshing tool?

I didn't see a hand modeling, fingers close, not spread... I'm wondering.

Even now, we can use lot of sub tools, like ears attachments and remesh in hi def.

• Reputable Contributor

Sounds like they now have Auto-Retopology and took it a step further in that it is done automatically while you create the mesh rather than as an extra tool. If that guess is correct though it would mean it will probably only apply for sculpts done in the program rather than being able to import any model.

It could also be something like LiveClay which the sculptris dev probably added in so it only adds details where needed and makes things more optimized.

No, that's not what he's talking about. What Pixologic is doing with v4 is emulating Voxels and some of it's unique aspects, with the lone exception being the improved renderer. When you make an edit to the object in Voxels, two things happen. 3D Coat turns off/on voxels to represent volume or lack thereof and then it resamples the mesh to re-conform to the volume evenly. This would give you the benefits of Voxels without actually using them.

Shame that Pixologic has to steal all of it recent "innovations" from a single and much smaller competitor. Wouldn't a 64 bit ZBrush with 3d connexion support be the better way to go?

• Advanced Member

Yeah with this version the more i see now it look like they are just trying to take the best bits of 3DC.

They probably hired the sculptris dev because as 3DC gets better it's more competition for them plus there is now sculpting in blender, meshmixer etc. So i guess with this next version they want to try and destroy all the competition or something. Liveclay seems to be in place though and i am sure Andrew has lots of great plans still so i don't think 3DC is going away anytime soon plus ZB has a fairly high price.

One thing i think Andrew needs to do is a user scripting and real SDK system (Not just import formats) as that way 3DC can become like blender with user addons which adds a lot more value to thing. Applinks definitely worked so i am sure 3DC plugins would also, this also allows the developers to focus on major new features.

• Advanced Member

Zbrush has far the best brushes. And a high quality forum around it.

You probably missed what I noticed. The counter is located on top, a little right and you can't clearly see it in this video. But it doesn't live update. Just some steps occasionally. Meaning some kind of not live remeshing?

I agree with AbnRanger, this doesn't look adopted from dr. petters dyntessellation (Sculptris). Smells like voxels and probably produces dense quads.

"I wonder if it is possible to do a full blown sculpt with it, or do we have to retopo it to go..." of course you have to retopo this. Zbrush's retopo tool isn't bad - whatever you believe, it still is a disadvantage of this software though.

• Advanced Member

Maybe beatkitano, frameskipping should make the counter run as hell. Talking about active points/totalpoints.

Now, some believe that this is autoretopo and UV as we sculpt. What can I say... A miracle at 32 bit.

But I still think that probably is a remeshing automation probably clicking a button from time to time.

This mysticism of pixologic... and this terrible music, I insist :D

My pessimism on the other hand. :p:

Lets face the truth Digital777, the price for sulpting with Zbrush is cheaper than the price its cost to sculpt with 3dcoat.

Im talking about the free upgrades for Zbrush and most important i dont need to spend an huge amount of monny to get an good sculpt out of zbrush.

I am working today with an old laptop *got it warry cheap 250 EUR toshiba satelite older model ,specs : intel p4 at 3000 Mhz with multithreading tech. ,no graphics card atall becose i cant find an driver that works good so i can only pus the resolution of the screen ,i cant handel anithing that needs directx 9 , and 1 gig of ram and 60 gig HDD .And lest instal 3d coat on that machine , u cant even open it.

In Zbrush i can do anithing i want and can eaven handel an total amount of 15 million polis spread on diffrent subtools.And zbrush caunts the polis as quads that means if u have 10 million polis in zbrush u have 20 million triangles in Maya for example, (if the mesh is all quads ).

So the software is cheaper but to work with it u spent tooooo mutch mony , my opinnion.

If i upgrade my memory i can handel even more polys and make high detailed skulpts.

• Advanced Member

250 EUR? Toooo much for this. But you're right that zb doesn't cost too much.

If I were to buy ZBrush license today it would cost me £533 or $870 which is a bit much for me right now.

I prefer the way Andrew sells 3DCoat a reasonable initial outlay and a small charge for upgrades.

• Advanced Member

Back to topic, you can read pixolator' comments above the new pixo video.

"it is exhilarating to freely shape the mesh and quickly explore many ideas until you arrive at a concept worthy of progressing into finer detail."

'Into finer details' pixolator says.

Of course you gonna need retopology, but a simple question here. We always can join subtools in zb and retopo on a single mesh in the end. We can still work with clay on joined meshes. In very hi density too.

We still have sculpris and the very effective GoZ applink.

This into finer details after, it frightens me. How much dense mesh this dynamesh produces? Of what kind?

There always be sculptris and the excellent GoZ applink, these apps work like one.

Always surprises me how zbrush people don't even care about sculptris. The sculptris pixoforum people almost hate zbrush as well. It's funny that users there talk more about blender and 3dcoat than zbrush.

Pixologic has a vision, I don't quite get it.

Are they trying to keep users inside the family? Indeed, the implementation of a good renderer, some animation capabilities, gigantic meshes that can be manipulated in zb only... Indeed, have you noticed that all the bug reports are related with the export capabilities of Zb? No smoothed UVs on displacement maps, poor retopo system, a very effective but weak UV master plugin. No painting directly on maps (PPP), the archaic 2d projection system is full of bugs in zb4.

Decimator is excellent though - 3d printing you see- :drinks: