3DCoat Forums

ZBrush R2

• Advanced Member

One suggestion, let's stay in topic... It's about the technology pixologic is using. About their visions and maybe their policy, Just saying.

Yes of course michalis you are right, but I was only responding to statements like this

But you're right that zb doesn't cost too much

• Advanced Member

OK, so if you read carefully what pixolator says, there's probably a limitation in faces count. No multi res of course when using this dynamic clay. But it's definitely a quad with some tris mesh. Reminds me zbrush remesher.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

BeatKitano, I really don't understand much about pixologic. These look like voxels, it's the old remesher. Is this correct?

Pixols are 2.5D voxels.

Everything get dropped and picked from the canvas like Projection Master but operations are so quick that we dont see it.

This is why you cannot rotae camera and do a stroke at the same time,even camera movement count as a stroke.

This is also the reason you will never see 3DConnexion device support in ZB.

What Dynamesh does,and Im purely speculating here,is live remeshing+projection but instead of using Old Unified Skin it probably use

a newer method of remeshing maybe closer to the quadrangulation method Dr.Petter is working on

post-1195-0-75637600-1315924790_thumb.jp

Its maybe not this method right now,but its definetly not old Unified Skin,its a too much limited method to achieve good remeshing in alot of cases.

Pixols are 2.5D voxels.

Everything get dropped and picked from the canvas like Projection Master but operations are so quick that we dont see it.

This is why you cannot rotae camera and do a stroke at the same time,even camera movement count as a stroke.

This is also the reason you will never see 3DConnexion device support in ZB.

What Dynamesh does,and Im purely speculating here,is live remeshing+projection but instead of using Old Unified Skin it probably use

a newer method of remeshing maybe closer to the quadrangulation method Dr.Petter is working on

post-1195-0-75637600-1315924790_thumb.jp

Its maybe not this method right now,but its definetly not old Unified Skin,its a too much limited method to achieve good remeshing in alot of cases.

Maybe I am little off topic but with 2.5 D is possible to create very interesting things such as....

Anyway like all us I am really very curious to discover how next release of Zb will be..A lot of Voxel I suppose...

post-2589-0-50785300-1315932901_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

If we ever seen this method. Not very optimist I would say.

You know, I'm thinking that a triangulated mesh it the best way to describe sculpting. The only mathematically correct way.

Of course we need quad meshes for lot of other reasons but Euclides theory still stands.

• Advanced Member

"By Ryan Kingslien",

Blah blah as usual, leaving me boring boring, more blah blah, a terrible shader and extremely predicable results!

But you know me, I like sculpting, no tricks.

I still didn't download it but it seems it's a 32 bit app as expected.

You know me, once again I'll say: Developer's fireworks, not among my interests!

The only I know is that a workflow involving 3dc and zb is more powerful and close to real sculpting.

Even worse.

pixologic has possibly stopped the development of sculptris. Dr petters was ready to implement a auto retopo, a kind of.

Compare a autoretopo sculptris to this dyna mesh now. Not my imagination as we easily can simulate it via 3dcoat.

Mr Ryan Kingslien didn't show us the remesh process, only blah blah and a 2/5 rated sculpting. by me of course.

"We were right Michalis: live remeshing+projection. Nice."

he he we're quick on these, you could see it in first announcements-videos clearly.

How spontaneous method for sculpting is this, well, tell me.

Artman, it doesn't look like they used the ideas of dr petters on this. Whatever it means.

• Advanced Member

In fact their new Dynamesh feature looks a lot like the latest Clay tool of 3D Coat.

Its like putting clay anywhere on the mesh or cutting it as you want with no constraint at all.

Where 3D coat is better , is that you can really put anywhere in space the voxels, in Zbrush with Dynamesh, the Clay

you put or cut must stay on the base mesh, you can't put clay somewhere else on the space !

I think Next Step for Zbrush will be a better Retopology tools perhaps ?

And next evolution why not could be to integrate low poly modeling tools , even if Zbrush with shadowbix and 3D Coat allow doing

substraction on volumes, perhaps one of them will bring "real" low poly modeling tools that you could mix with actual Sculpt product ?

For example you do some retopology on the character , than you could cut/extrude surface to make solid armor and complex hard surfaces.

Caus precise hard surfaces can take a long time to make using sculpting tools : base sculpting, refining the mesh, refining the surface,

refining again ...

Blender do that, but it is too much slow for scultping and far away behind in termes of tools compared to 3D coat or Zbrush.

• Advanced Member

"In fact their new Dynamesh feature looks a lot like the latest Clay tool of 3D Coat.

Its like putting clay anywhere on the mesh or cutting it as you want with no constraint at all.

Where 3D coat is better , is that you can really put anywhere in space the voxels, in Zbrush with Dynamesh, the Clay

you put or cut must stay on the base mesh, you can't put clay somewhere else on the space ! "

No, not at all. You can put mesh anywhere you like, it isn't a LC or sculptris method. In fact these two similar methods are superior.

64 bit zb? NO

Decent fast Retopology? NO

Future of sculptris? NO (I'm afraid so)

I admit it, I'm waiting to play with new zb, especially with new shaders and renderer. Just for fun.

I hope, when retopo, you can move vertices keeping snapping now. LOL (and subdivide edges keeping snapping of course). Too humble for pixo devs I suppose.

Hmmmm....I wonder if 3D-Coat should go open source and sell support, plug-ins etc.? ZBrush seems like it will for win the horse awards over the long run. Sculptris is free and I believe it will remain that way for Pixologic to use for testing future "DynaMesh" advancements before integrating them into ZBrush. R2 is just undeniably jaw dropping and since they've already pre-announced Z5 as being 64-bit that's already a another feather in their cap people will be willing to wait for.

"Dynamesh" is in all likelihood adaptive tessellation, but with minimal tri creation that ZBrush converts to quads in-process. Z5 is just going to be a beast. I only wish they would integrate industry standard manipulator tools (move, rotate, scale), add utility for saving masks, bezier style curve handles and the option for industry standard Maya style scene navigation.

• Advanced Member

I feel like echoing Michalis's sentiments exactly.

I own zbrush. I will enjoy the new features. But they are not anywhere as innovative or groundbreaking as Pixologic likes to make them appear. Especially dynamesh is nothing but a desperate attempt to emulate some of the features that voxel sculpting and dynamic tesselation sculpting bring while clinging on to their old technology so they wont have to start anew. Zbrush is aging.. Sped up video's with fancy music showing programmer art will eventually stop hypnotizing the masses. Perhaps not anytime soon but it will happen.

The major feeling I have when I look at Zbrush4R2 is intense regret that Andrew did not finish what he started in 2009. Such a gigantic waste of opportunity. It pains me to this day to think about it. Perhaps Raul has the vision to realize what can and should be done with the sculpting technology in 3d-Coat to bring it up to the level it deserves. We shall see when we get our hands on the latest liveclay improvements and can see how he reacts to feedback.

3dioot

• Advanced Member

Zbrush has a great navigation system, has a good UI. I have this feeling that we can't estimate what a non linear UI means sometimes.

Reading this carefully

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?161231-ZBrush-4R2-Unleashed!

Some thoughts:

I noted some interesting features. Like bringing any existing mesh into dynamesh for instance. I don't know the limitations so far but it's interesting.

It's a much better remesh tool if I understood correctly. Should not be confused with sculptris , 3dc LC.

Nothing is perfect.

Perfect could be to work on a box modeling base, add subdivisions, working on them, jumping to the low poly, adding more loops-extrudes, reprojecting higher sub details on this.

Blender came close to this but not many seem to noticed. This blender process is problematic, buggy and messes easily. This is the starting point for a non linear UI IMO. A live topology indeed. Loops!

We can do miracles with what we have.

Sculptris or even better, voxels to LC or similar,

retopo, and going to zbrush, MB or blender or other surface multi res displacer tool. Then baking.

Not all of these in 3dcoat, as the absence of sculpt room is weird at least. Still, this possible processing is linear. After retopo you can't go back.

Not out of topic I guess, my few thoughts on these.