3DCoat Forums

123D Sculpt

Gilded

Well, for AutoDesk, this is a landmark.

It doesn't do much, and it doesn't seem to be using any form of "Dynamic Tesselation", but it is a step in the right direction.

I've already found an Ipad2 "frame by frame" animation app that outperforms anything on the PC or Mac, (allowing you to draw accurately, directly on the screen with a small stylus) - with instant playback of your animation - ideal for developing full "hand-made" animation.

I'm sure that today's iPad and Ipad clone hardware are totally capable of handling 3D-Coat's LiveClay implementation - all we need is more time - ten more developers - and a lot more money.

It's coming.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

If all these people can create something interesting, something close to art with ipad I don't mind at all.

I think I'll start to get preventive headache now...

Have a beer, it helps. :drinks:

This will never happen so drink you beer in peace.

Looking at the sculpting itself, the details are actually incredibly clean and the navigation seems intuitive. I'm not sure what the mesh is technically doing, and I don't have an iPad to try it out, but for the people who do, the app was free at the time I posted it. As of that time I don't believe obj export was possible, but if the app is any good then it's only a matter of time for that.

To be honest I am neither a fan of Apple nor of Autodesk, but having an on hand sculpting app to draft down basic, clean sculpts could be very useful. I could imagine working on things while traveling or while at a meeting or while working on ideas with a group of people. It could be like a sculpting sketchpad.

As of that time I don't believe obj export was possible, but if the app is any good then it's only a matter of time for that.

The thing about export is that apple doesn't allow access to the file system so unless something has changed, the only way to export is to email the file to yourself from the app. I can imagine that would take a while with gigapoly meshes and slow wifi or other internet.

• Advanced Member

Looking at the sculpting itself, the details are actually incredibly clean and the navigation seems intuitive. I'm not sure what the mesh is technically doing, and I don't have an iPad to try it out, but for the people who do, the app was free at the time I posted it. As of that time I don't believe obj export was possible, but if the app is any good then it's only a matter of time for that.

To be honest I am neither a fan of Apple nor of Autodesk, but having an on hand sculpting app to draft down basic, clean sculpts could be very useful. I could imagine working on things while traveling or while at a meeting or while working on ideas with a group of people. It could be like a sculpting sketchpad.

I think the detail examples you are seeing are misleading. The app installs with prefab meshes, so you are limited to customizing them from there. Try to sculpt eyelids and such on that head and you will hit a resolution wall quickly. For this reason I'd say it's more of a toy for non-sculptors than anything, even for doing block outs away from a computer. Voxels or even dynamic tessellation would make this app much more useful. Even in 3dcoat I don't often subdivide a volume until I'm done playing around with the shape. I'd love to have a stripped down version of 3dcoat on ipad for blocking stuff out. I'd actually use that and pay money for it.

• Advanced Member

ipad

what a style

it eliminates the use of real paper, pencils, watercolors and brushes.

People keep asking me (in front of my real watercolor works) if I tried apps like Corel painter or Ps.

Why should I? (I did of course), a simple scanner is always the best choice.

So, a client can always draw on a paper, which has more style. But a little talent is needed.

These clients, never know what they have in mind, apple and autodesk are trying to fill this gap. Or make it wider :D