3DCoat Forums

How do I bring an OBJ file into 3dCoat for reto and/or UV mapping?

L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

Also, it's in pieces...I'd like to bring them in from Maya as layers I can turn on or off and manipulate seperatly as I work on them but I'd like them all on the same setup in 3d Coat. I'm bringing them in from Maya so I don't necessarily have to import them to 3d Coat as .obj files if that is necessary.

post-3590-0-24247500-1313342726_thumb.jp

Have you tried the maya AppLink for 3DC? I don't use maya so I couldn't help with how it works.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6886

Otherwise you should be able to load the object as OBJs. You should see them as layers you can turn on/off on the Objects tab, if you don't see it look at Windows > Popups > Sub-Objects. For UV editing just import it to the paint room, switch to the UV tab, hit Clear Seams. Then Mark Seams and place them where you like (hold Shift for a full loop), then hit Unwrap. Click Apply UV-Set to send the new UVs to the model in the paint room.

• Advanced Member

Have you tried the maya AppLink for 3DC? I don't use maya so I couldn't help with how it works.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6886

Otherwise you should be able to load the object as OBJs. You should see them as layers you can turn on/off on the Objects tab, if you don't see it look at Windows > Popups > Sub-Objects. For UV editing just import it to the paint room, switch to the UV tab, hit Clear Seams. Then Mark Seams and place them where you like (hold Shift for a full loop), then hit Unwrap. Click Apply UV-Set to send the new UVs to the model in the paint room.

Thanks

I'm using the Applink for Maya 3dCoat and it's excellent but there's a hell of a lot of buttons to push in it and a lot to know..

I've gotten a created asset from Maya to 3dcoat for Voxelization in the past, but now I want to transfer an asset as a topology for UV Mapping...and it's all trial and error for me...I'm looking for a smooth workflow here.