3DCoat Forums

Flattening Feet.. Tools?

Hi

Im not sure if this is the right forum to place this very basic question..but...

Im creating really long feet for a character and need to find the quickest (easiest) technique to create the base of the feet. The feet are created using the curve tool, and I just want to flatten the bottom of the feet (the scrape tool is a bit unrelaiable, and the 2D tool is awkward...) I do recall a tutorial by Geothefaust where he just puts a box over an area he wants cut away and it removes averything in the box but I havent had a chance to revisit his tutorial on hard body modelling again.

Im normally lazy and flatten the feet when I import the mesh into lightwave to add eyelids for animation and general cleanup prior to importing back into 3d coat for painting.. but I want to get better at 3d coat so thought its about time I stop being lazy..

Any tips?

Thanks

andrew

Hey man!

You're not alone in that method (that is the refining back in a modeling app), I do that a lot too.

Anywho, the thing you're looking for is the Carve tool in the voxel room, with any of the shape options from the "E" panel, drag rectangle, draw with irregular area, etc.. Just hold the CTRL key while using it, and that will subtract the parts you don't want. Another thing to make sure of is that orthographic mode is on when doing this, or you'll get a slanted cut. Hope that helps!

Hey man!

You're not alone in that method (that is the refining back in a modeling app), I do that a lot too.

Anywho, the thing you're looking for is the Carve tool in the voxel room, with any of the shape options from the "E" panel, drag rectangle, draw with irregular area, etc.. Just hold the CTRL key while using it, and that will subtract the parts you don't want. Another thing to make sure of is that orthographic mode is on when doing this, or you'll get a slanted cut. Hope that helps!

Cheers for the quick response man.. I new it was something simple! Awesome..

Hows the modelling and animation work going? I am trying to start from scratch learning the principles of rigging in lightwave (because of the availability of tutorials).. Hopefully by the time I get a handle on the principles the transition into Messiah should be easier.. Rigging is so different in Blender it was a real struggle to transition to Messiah.. but the similarities between lightwave and messiah has already made things I struggled with previously remarkably simple. Im looking forward to the Messiah rigging tutorials from atomic toon!

Anyway - wishing all the best with your work!

Regards

andrew

Cheers for the quick response man.. I new it was something simple! Awesome..

Hows the modelling and animation work going? I am trying to start from scratch learning the principles of rigging in lightwave (because of the availability of tutorials).. Hopefully by the time I get a handle on the principles the transition into Messiah should be easier.. Rigging is so different in Blender it was a real struggle to transition to Messiah.. but the similarities between lightwave and messiah has already made things I struggled with previously remarkably simple. Im looking forward to the Messiah rigging tutorials from atomic toon!

Anyway - wishing all the best with your work!

Regards

andrew

Hey sorry! I haven't been getting my 3DC forum emails on time (days late, lately :( ).

Work is going alright! I'm working on a video game atm using various tools, including 3DC, messiah, Modo some LW, lots of PS and AE.

It's funny you mention rigging, I spent a good long time learning the rigging tools in LW that I nearly lost my sanity. If there is one thing I can dispense, is that rigging in messiah is much much much better! You wont go insane learning or doing it. Everything works with everything else. Wherein LW things don't always work with other things, and when some things do, it's not always fully and can cause some serious problems. The good part, like you said, is that the basic elements of rigging in LW and messiah are so similar that you can transfer said knowledge between the two. :)

Anywho, cool. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work man! :yahoo: