3DCoat Forums

Side Table with Marble Top

L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

The biggest problem here was making the brass rail around the edge of the table in Maya. Initially I wanted to use transparency maps to pierce it into a grille but that proved impossible so I boned up on creating deformers under Animation and pieced a fully 3d one together with all the punched openings in the metal. Lots of messing with little stubborn problems there but it all worked out in the end.

Yesterday I pieced it together...today I figured out the metal railing and did some UV mapping in 3d Coat (the best UV mapper there is right now I think) and tomorrow I'll take all the pieces of it into 3d Coat for per pixel painting of color maps, normal maps and displacement maps, like the grooves on the legs of the table.

Then I'll assemble all my maps in Maxwell to create the MXM files. I'm planning on really aging that railing; I hope I can make it look like really old brass..right now all the textures in the table are Blinn placeholders...

BTW, anybody got a nice white marble with dark streaks in it, something high res like 2096 x 2096 or higher that they can share with me?

Update; I've been wrestling with painting this grille railing all afternoon. IF YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR UV MAP LAID OUT RIGHT THEN YOU AIN'T GOING NOWHERE IN PER PIXEL PAINT. That's all I have to say about it. But I finally cracked down and made cuts on every opening in the grille...all 180 of them. Let's just say I'm developing a facility with handling my obj in the view port..

But the ugly work is done so let the fun begin...generating a whole series of color, normal and spec maps, to try to give the impression of fatigued brass with some worn gold on top of it...This will be fun.

So I've put a thin unevenly mapped layer of dull gold over a substrate of some kind of corroded smooth metal, with a broad bump map to make an uneven relflection to break up the perfect finish and make it look like worn electroplate gilt trim. It's got a way to go yet

post-3590-0-34659000-1314256554_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-76894600-1314256789_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-78727100-1314341395_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-25808200-1314388170_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-92177400-1314388190_thumb.jp