3DCoat Forums

From Scratch II - The Proverbial Pirate

Psmith

Don't miss this one - especially if you are new to 3D-Coat.

If you haven't seen the first "From Scratch" series, I suggest you watch these first - but you'll probably be able to follow along, even if you haven't seen it.

File size: BIG!

The Proverbial Pirate

And now, the all new, Part 2, covering efficient use of AUTOPO and UV mapping & unwrapping:

File size: Not quite so BIG

The Proverbial Pirate Part 2 - AUTOPO & UV's

I hope you enjoy it,

Greg Smith

post-962-0-12338800-1314392837_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

It's important... turn off symmetry... make your model come alive.

And then? What about retopo? You have to brake symmetry after retopo... meaning, another app to do the fine sculpting. Repeating myself. Repeating you, actually. :)

Your best was "keep seeing your model from all possible views (or similar) ". I wish everyone can understand the meaning of this. To have interesting abstract geometry from all views. The deeper meaning of sculpting.

Michalis:

What about it? If the face is not truly symmetrical, neither should the topography. You simply prefer to work with symmetrical topography first. Let's see how much trouble it is to create topography that can be animated on a model which is not symmetrical, shall we?

Greg Smith

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, Greg.

I am presently doing your rat from scratch series. Excellent timing and voice over. It is quite apparent that you have done voice over work and have a clear and beautiful tone. Some of the best presentation work I've seen in a tutorial. Your efforts are much appreciated by someone who has been wanting to learn 3DC for a long time. I look forward to watching this new series.

Cris

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, Iam a fairly new user of 3D-COAT. Iam coming from ZBRUSH. I know many people like to compare programs but for me 3D-COAT and ZBRUSH currently the best at what they do and they go about it really differently. One huge thing when going over to a new program is tutorial availability and Iam so happy to see such awesome tutorials for 3D-COAT. Of all the tutorials I have ever gone through (I have spent so much time viewing tutorials from digitaltutors for Maya, Zbrush, etc!) this narrator of these tutorials is the best I have ever heard. The clarity and speed of these tutorials is absolutely awesome. My vote for the absolutely best tutorial maker ever! Thank you. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greg, thank you much for both of the Series from Scratch. Got thru them both.
I wish you made more on Gumroad or something. Really enjoyed your pace/voice and attention to detail. These tutorials are still relevant coming 2018 starting out. Amazing.
I think i have a gameplan with where to go from here. Want to learn in the right sequence and eventually build from a strong foundation.