3DCoat Forums

Reference mesh in the voxel room

Jean-Luc

This was already asked in the voxel development sub-forum but I guess it would be more appropriate here since it is after all a feature request :)

It would be very nice if it were possible to import a mesh in the voxel room without having to convert it in voxel. It would allow to import the mesh and have it as a reference when using the voxel tools (building a helmet, cloth, about anything you can do using voxels.

Some mesh convert very badly into voxel, and being able to have them in the viewport without being obliged to convert them would be a big advantage.

I have no clue how hard it would be but it seems that Andrew already said it would be relatively easy to do.

In the merge tool settings there is a checkbox called "merge without voxelization" or something very similar to that (I installed the German version during the last beta update by accident so I'm not sure about the exact English wording), that should do the trick.

Thank you mulciber, I did try this option before posting my request. Even with "Merge without Voxelizing" it still create a voxel surface. What I meant was really a simple polygonal mesh as "background", not editable, the 3D equivalent of an image plane

My bad, I tried it again and it did what I wanted :) Now I only need to find how to flip the polygons (normal are inverted). Very nice anyway :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I just noticed in the merge tool in 3.5.24,

"Merge without voxelizing"

!!!

tested it out. it imports the mesh into a vox layer in surface mode. it works!

thanks so much for the new feature andrew! works great.

the only limitation seems to be that the copy brush doesn't grab from vox layers in surface mode.