3DCoat Forums

MacOSX Lion Display Flicker on Import FBX or Obj

I'm trying to import a simple low poly model to paint.

It was initially working but now every time I try and import any model including the bundled ones, 3D-Coats display starts flickering (like a driver issue) and the program locks up.

Everything else in the program is working fine.

BUILD: Happens with Current Stable, V3.0 and 3.5.24

HARDWARE: (If applicable) 8 Core Mac Pro

BUG DESCRIPTION: Display Lock up and flicker.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE: Open 3D Coat, import model either from opening window, or import menu. Crash.

I have recently been experiencing graphical errors as well. See http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8504&st=0&p=65594&fromsearch=1entry65594 It doesn't crash 3d-coat, but does have a similar "graphic driver" type flavor. My issues popped up after an apple update several weeks before the lion release, but have followed me to a new mac.

For your model though... it is possible it may be a different bug. Check where the origin point of your mesh is. If it's very far outside the bounding box of the actual mesh, it may be causing 3dcoat to glitch out on load. If other models import fine it may be something strange with your model.

It wouldn't surprise me though if it was a lion bug. Apple has recently released another beta update to developers which includes graphic driver updates. Hopefully we'll see that soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I too am getting graphical issues in 3d coat on Lion. Whenever I save a file or export something the screen flickers badly and I can no longer click on anything within 3d coat and have to force close 3dcoat.

It saves the file no problem.

Mike

• Advanced Member

Using nVidia graphics (8 core macpro-nehalem)

3dcoat had always a thin single pixel row on the right of my screen that was flickering. Under osx 10.5x 10.6 x. I didn't test it under 10.7

nasty but not catastrophic.

On my machine it is the entire 3d coat window that goes crazy after sculpting and then saving a file. I should make a quick video showing what happens to make it clear.

Here are a couple of screen shots showing what I see. Bit much to do video. You can see that the main 3dcoat window is covering the menu that I pulled up to save. Its actually flickering between that screen shot then being clear but it is unresponsive. The other shot is the white model I see in the render room.

Mike

post-1790-0-71905700-1317374403_thumb.pn

post-1790-0-21589100-1317374463_thumb.pn

• Advanced Member

ANy news on the issues I am having? Updated to version 3.5.25 today with the same issues still there. By the way the render bit only seems to happen on some models. I noticed today I had a red non uniform error message or something on the taskbar. How do i sort that?

The saving stopping me continuing to work until I kill 3dcoat and restart is a more worry issue for me at the moment though.

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Got fed up waiting and I hate to see 3dcoat rotting on my hD> the fixes for the above are.

The opening files hanging 3dcoat happen if enable access for assistive devices is on in system prefs. Switch that off and no hanging. What is that option. I never switch it on yet other apps do.

The render issue where everything is white is fixed by switching on 32 bit rendering. Without that it doesnt render anything. Just white space.

Mike

Mykyl, access for assistive devices is usually used for assistive devices for the disabled. Many developers use it as a way to patch in alternative control devices into the system, so either hardware keys on tablets and other controllers, macro or automation utilities etc. Lots of very useful stuff uses it, but the occasional misbehaving application has issues. I often have a hard time choosing whether to have it enabled or not.

I also still have longstanding issues with 3dcoat visual display bugs, both on my macbook pro and current generation iMac. Perhaps if we could gather together all those having mac graphic problems we could get someone to help us figure it out. The issue seems to be a problem of incorrect opengl shaders, and may have been caused by some other application installed previously. We would need a mac opengl guru or someone familiar with the system, to allow us to collect useful debugging information and sort it out.

The 3D-Coat team has been very quiet about mac graphic issues, which is a pity, as several of mine are showstopper bugs.

• Advanced Member

It is a bit strange although I can now do something in 3dcoat with those 'fixes' for now. Bit surprised though that even a direct email to Andrew has resulted in no reply. That's a new turn of events. He had always been pretty on the ball in the past when issues were pointed out. I first mentioned those issues back in October or whenever and got a reply saying the mac person would look into it. I left it and as I said earlier thought I would try the 'final release' version 3.7. Got a shock to find no improvement in the issues I was having. Felt a bit like they forgot there was an issue.

Then again I do still have another issue regarding loading in textures and alphas etc that was never fixed either. I gave up on that one and realised that 3d coat for detailing was just never going to happen so its zbrush for me on that side of things. 3dcoat for basic blocking in and retopology. Cant work with semi working apps at the end of the day.

Mike

• Advanced Member

I forwarded your request to mac programmer and now after reading your posts I reminded him.

But I think it is problem of too low videocard. Anyway, probably he has better idea.

My video card is an ATI 2600HD card. Seems strange it would work perfectly rendering with 32 bit if it was a graphic card issue.

The issue with textures etc was nothing to do with display issues. It just never loads in folders of textures I want to paint with.

Mike

Mike

I forwarded your request to mac programmer and now after reading your posts I reminded him.

But I think it is problem of too low videocard. Anyway, probably he has better idea.

AMD Radeon HD 6970M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6720

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-C2960K-152

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.507

• 1 month later...

I have the same card in my iMac. I get some variation of what others are reporting- in my case the menus at the top don't respond (file/edit/view etc) and a viewport on the right flickers. If I pan or rotate (anything that moves the grid) I get a bunch of glitches in that pane. Hotkeys work, but the flickering viewport is going to give me a migraine or a seizure. Basically unusable, disappointing because we're trying it out under Windows at work and it's been great. I've tried about everything I can find on forums, so I'll just keep watching for updates.

• 3 weeks later...

A little more info.

BUG DESCRIPTION: Upon starting I get this error:

"3-D Coat has difficulties writing to its own installation folder. You may experience problems creating new Brushes, Masks, Materials, etc. Please set corresponding permissions for the folder or copy 3-D Coat's files to some unprotected folder."

I click through, and it starts with a second error:

"Unable to write file" temp/rrad.dat" (which, yeah, sounds related to the first one). Most of the UI doesn't function, and you can see there is a pain to the right with the grid in it, and it doesn't update but just keeps drawing over itself until the screen is solid gray. Clicking on any grid causes the mouse to "stick"- like I'm grabbing the grid- and there seems to be no way to let go. I've reinstalled, repaired permissions, even added RAM, I mean why not. I've been using this on a PC at work and we're buying a bunch now- I love this program. I just want to buy it for my mac, but so far I can't get past this point.

errors.jpg

BUILD: OSX [3.7.05B]

HARDWARE & DRIVER:

3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

Anyone else run into this? I know other people who have no problems on their mac, although I wonder if thats because they're running a pre-lion version of the OS...

• 4 weeks later...

I discovered that simply logging out and logging in under a different account and running it there fixed my problem. I think it must have had something to do with how Apple lets you migrate from one computer to another- so like a digital hermit crab I've moved from ppc to mbp to iMac and in all of those files is...well, I have no idea. All I know is it now runs like a champ and I'm buying it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem too; MAc Lion on Mac pro 8 core 1.1 and Ati Radeon 5870 (can't be the video card, is the best available out there).

I am trying to import a reference mesh to do retopology but it just won't work...after loading the menu stay down and the main 3d window flickers.

The app is stuck, nothing is displayed and the whole UI is non operative. I can just quit the app.

I had the same issue just selecting photoshop app in the preferences, so I am not sure what is going on here....selecting an app in the preferences (external 2d editor) should not mess up the program.

That's really disappointing honestly, I've used this software so little and once that I want to start to use it and learn something I am stuck.

Is anyone able to tell me when this will be fixed? It seems to be a problem since quite a while (was happening on 3.7.00; updated to the latest build on the site, the 3.7.08B and it is still happening).

Thanks.

Tried the solution mentioned above to turn of the feature in the assistive section but it is still happening.

And I am surprised to not have received either a mail nor I can see my previous post...for the price paid for the software I think that we are at the limit of the refund honestly, if this is how this company roll.

Tried the solution mentioned above to turn of the feature in the assistive section but it is still happening.

And I am surprised to not have received either a mail nor I can see my previous post...for the price paid for the software I think that we are at the limit of the refund honestly, if this is how this company roll.

Please be patient. We filter EVERY new user to make sure they are not a spammer. We simply cannot be awake all hours to approve every post.

darshie,

If you need quick support, please email support AT 3d-coat DOT com

Posting in the forum if you need help ASAP or a reply ASAP from the developer is not the best way to get support. The team is small and cannot read every single post made by every single user. Surely you understand. Please email support as noted above.

Please be patient. We filter EVERY new user to make sure they are not a spammer. We simply cannot be awake all hours to approve every post.

I am aware of that, It is just strange since in other forums I have never seen post approval from mods, for the support area.

darshie,

If you need quick support, please email support AT 3d-coat DOT com

Posting in the forum if you need help ASAP or a reply ASAP from the developer is not the best way to get support. The team is small and cannot read every single post made by every single user. Surely you understand. Please email support as noted above.

I did send already a support email, and since nobody replied I checked the forum and found this post.

Believe me, I am more than happy to avoid to bother devs with stupid questions; so I did my homework and figured out that since this is the "support->SOS critical bugs and urgent help" area, some dev would see it and help me.

Hopefully the Mac dev will be able to figure what is wrong here; I shall suggest to get different configurations with different video cards (on the mac is easy...there are 2-3 alternatives, it is not like a PC), and be sure that the software works in it's entirety. If I would not load a reference mesh I would never find out that the app was not working anymore after updating my video card.

Let's hope for the best. Thanks.

It looks like the problem is the call to the Finder window to load the file; when you are in 3dcoat and open finder to load a file (trough the import command in 3dcoat), the issue happens.

If you load a file from the recent menu it does not happen.

I didn't spend too much time trying to figure out why is this happening (may be OGL, may be Quartz or whatever is the graphic server used by 3dcoat), but at least I have a better idea of the problem, and it should be easier for you guys to fix it.