3DCoat Forums

So many betas before release... But stability is very important. I need some help in testing multicode stuff. In this version I have fixed most (I hope all) multicore issues. Also, smoothing speed is increased. Occlusion is still single core. PSD/pen issues seems to be fixed there. So, please try:

http://www.3d-brush.com/files/3d-brush-2-07-beta5-en.exe

• Advanced Member

Baking out a 4K displacement took along time. It was 29% then i took a shower(maybe 10-15 minutes) came out and it still wasn't done. Moreover it was "Not Responding" used 100% of the CPU , 1.03 GB of RAM.

Mudbox can bake a 4K displacement out in 4-6 minutes and its not multithreaded.

EDIT: i think why it took so long to bake is because i had 3 layers of depth, merging them and then baking should speed things up.

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

So I decided to try sculpting on a highpoly mesh (610,000polys) and everything was

going nicely until I tried to get out of sculpt mode. 3d-Coat is frozen at 99% (taking

50% of my CPU power but not apparently doing anything) and I've lost the work. Is

there any way to avoid this in the future (besides working on smaller meshes)? I've

already increased my virtual memory as you'd suggested on another thread awhile

ago, but I'm running with *only* 2Gig RAM on my laptop, and I won't be able to add

any more ram, sadly.

I also think it might be nice to be able to 'cancel' some processes such as Ambient

Occlusion (if it's taking too long, or you decide you really don't need to tie up 3dC

for that long at the moment) ... would adding a cancel button be a difficult addition?

Anyhow, the update is looking quite nice. 3DC is quickly becoming a very necessary

tool in my arsenal. ;)

Cheers.

wailingmonkey

*edit* I've included a capture of what I just re-did before trying to exit out of Sculpt mode.

This time I brought in the model at 170Kpolys and set the carcass up to 600K. You can see

that the memory is really low (743mb free), which probably guarantees a crash. This time

it froze at 18% (the dialog as you exit sculpt mode). If I try to sculpt with a 170K carcass

it's just too jagged for wrinkles and such. :(

post-475-1204702111_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I agree SonK, 'esc' would work just fine as well. (thanks for the nice comment)

I've really only been testing the latest beta with a pretty high-res object, but I've

found it to have crashed more times than I think any of the previous beta's did

(but again, I wasn't pushing the poly limits much). I've got screenshots of the

error messages, but it seems to be a factor of not enough memory (crashing

when available memory dips below 830mb or so).

Also, Andrew, something seems to have changed with the way color is applied in

3d-coat (don't remember 2.06 or versions before behaving like this). I've got a

nice skin preset that I used to paint over the entire surface. It's got jitter and

a small depth variation, but in the latest build (2.07beta5) the color won't 'blend' as

it had before so that I don 't get overlap with each new stroke. I've de-selected

'additive drawing', made sure my transparency is fixed at 1.00, set the layer's option

to 'lock layer transparency' and have specular off. Still, with each new pen application

(which has to happen, since I can't paint the entire surface in 1 shot and have to let off, rotate

camera, then paint again) I get overlapping as you see in the included image. I've

also tried with all 3 different settings for the color channel, but that doesn't help either

(I had previously gotten a nice result with 'Use random color between the two').

Did uniform transparency with color (once additive drawing was de-selected) get broken

along the way somewhere?

cheers. :)

wailingmonkey

post-475-1204784588_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Okay...will upload later tonight (out the door right now). :)

*edit*

Looks like it took a re-boot for my machine, and all is working

according to before. Perhaps a crash left a corrupt temp file and

3d-C was going off of that? Whatever the reason I'll remember

that if it gets screwy like that again to try a full re-start of Windows

and not just expect re-starting 3d-C will fix it.

Here's my settings just for the sake of being thorough:

working_now.jpg