3DCoat Forums

Merge Subtree function and unwelcome reduction in resolution

L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

I'm merging all my layers in a voxel sculpt to one layer, using the MERGE SUBTREE function and each time my mesh is being reduced to an unpleasant and unwelcome level of resolution. I've already reduced the polycount of the various layers using the RESAMPLE function on each individually so that they're all 2x resolution.

How do I prevent MERGE SUBTREE from automatically making my mesh coarser like this?

• Advanced Member

So basically when I merge my layers at 23,081,000 triangles to one layer (the parent layer) the MERGE TREE tool is spitting out a single merged layer of only around 2.5 million triangles which doesn't look very good at all.

I'm looking for a way to cirumvent this..

• Advanced Member

That is 1 method, or it can be done similar with 3DCoat.

Also instead of merging sub tree, you can "merge to" individual layers, remember the resolution of the layer being merged to will be the resolution used. So if you merge a layer of x2 to a layer of x3 the end result will be x3. If you "merge visible" all visible layers will be merged to the layer currently selected, inheriting its resolution in the process. The thing to watch is you don't end up with too many triangles/polygons if you merge layers will large objects but low res to layers with high res. and really bog down the functioning of the program. You can minimize this merging the layers individually eg. "merge to" then deleting each layer once it is merged to keep the over all poly count as small as possible.

• Advanced Member

That is 1 method, or it can be done similar with 3DCoat.

Also instead of merging sub tree, you can "merge to" individual layers, remember the resolution of the layer being merged to will be the resolution used. So if you merge a layer of x2 to a layer of x3 the end result will be x3. If you "merge visible" all visible layers will be merged to the layer currently selected, inheriting its resolution in the process. The thing to watch is you don't end up with too many triangles/polygons if you merge layers will large objects but low res to layers with high res. and really bog down the functioning of the program. You can minimize this merging the layers individually eg. "merge to" then deleting each layer once it is merged to keep the over all poly count as small as possible.

Awesome. That's exactly what I needed to know. I suspected the lower res areas were degrading the higher res areas. This is a good solution. Thanks a lot