3DCoat Forums

Select Voxel Islands

dulo

• Contributor

I would like to select Voxel Blobs. Is there some possibility to do so in 3D Coat ? The code should be there. For Autoretopo it should be essential to find Voxel Blobs/Islands.

thx for help and tips

dulo

Before using Autopo use "Fill voids" from voxtree rmb menu it will get rid all isolated voxel chunks trapped inside.

Before using Autopo use "Fill voids" from voxtree rmb menu it will get rid all isolated voxel chunks trapped inside.

Thats not exactly what i need. I have a complete skeleton from an MRT Scan but I have to retopologize each Bone seperately to get proper Meshes.

Often its really hard to split the tiny bones in seperate layers to send them to retopo. I would need a tool to select connected voxels which would in most cases select one complete Bone. At the moment I am working with the hide and split hidden tools but they are quite tedious for this task.

I think that the logic must be implemented in 3D Coat because this Blob search is needed for autoreptopo.

• Contributor

Thats not exactly what i need. I have a complete skeleton from an MRT Scan but I have to retopologize each Bone seperately to get proper Meshes.

Often its really hard to split the tiny bones in seperate layers to send them to retopo. I would need a tool to select connected voxels which would in most cases select one complete Bone. At the moment I am working with the hide and split hidden tools but they are quite tedious for this task.

I think that the logic must be implemented in 3D Coat because this Blob search is needed for autoreptopo.

Its not possible to do this in 3DCoat already unless each obj have different material IDs,

then when merging you can check "merge to separate volumes" box.If its only one material ID you need Zbrush for this.

Here is how to do it in Zbrush.

1)Import .obj.

2)in Polygroups palette use Auto-group.

2)in Subtool palette use Grpsplit.

If you dont have Zbrush here is how to do it in 3DCoat,

you will still need to use split tool on each objects ,but its gonna be easier,no hide tool. :)

1-Select Pose tool

2-Change pose mode to "select object".

3-click on 1 bone

4-Select Along X

5-Enter in "direct move" a value of 200 (or any value that will move object far away from the others)

6-Now use Split tool on that bone.

7-Redo step 1,2,3,4,5 but instead enter negative value (ex:-200) now object will be back at original position.

Repeat for all bones....Good luck. :)

Its not possible to do this in 3DCoat already unless each obj have different material IDs,

then when merging you can check "merge to separate volumes" box.If its only one material ID you need Zbrush for this.

Here is how to do it in Zbrush.

1)Import .obj.

2)in Polygroups palette use Auto-group.

2)in Subtool palette use Grpsplit.

If you dont have Zbrush here is how to do it in 3DCoat,

you will still need to use split tool on each objects ,but its gonna be easier,no hide tool. :)

1-Select Pose tool

2-Change pose mode to "select object".

3-click on 1 bone

4-Select Along X

5-Enter in "direct move" a value of 200 (or any value that will move object far away from the others)

6-Now use Split tool on that bone.

7-Redo step 1,2,3,4,5 but instead enter negative value (ex:-200) now object will be back at original position.

Repeat for all bones....Good luck. :)

This technique with the pose tool in 3Dcoat really works and already makes my life a lot easier !!

Thanks a lot ! Great idea.

The Cell/Hide stuff doesnt seem to work for me. It just hides the voxel cells i select but not the connected voxel cells.

I tried with both stamp tools from the E panel.

But again thanks a lot.

• Contributor

The Cell/Hide stuff doesnt seem to work for me. It just hides the voxel cells i select but not the connected voxel cells.

I tried with both stamp tools from the E panel.

Are you doubleclicking?You need to doubleclick real fast with small radius.