3DCoat Forums

Anatomy workshop

spacepainter

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the post/youtube vid spacepainter, thinking of enrolling. (I need the peer pressure - see it as a gym subscription - you pay then you exercise your skills - and yes you can do it by oneself)

Cheers

Jake

• Advanced Member

Anatomy,

The first I learned in Athens fine arts school (university) and in Beaux Arts (paris) was that anatomy is for dummies.

I don't completely agree with this, but I can understand a deeper meaning.

A clean geometry, starting with cubes and spheres (booleans- voxels-merge) is more close to the needs of sculpting. You may alter these, working on details, but try not to eliminate the basic structure.

Though this 'teacher' above claims the same, he manages to eliminate this beauty.

Please, this is my opinion. I prefer more powerful solutions. More spontaneous sculpting. I'm not alone on this actually.

Don't get me wrong, anatomy is a good friend but only when coming to details.

How this? It's simple. Structures in nature seem to follow more generic forms, at least this is the way we're trying to understand the world. Existence is the right word I think. We may easily call it God but it's still a human creation. So let's be humble. Faith is beyond these and not a matter of discussion here.

I hope this isn't cryptic language LOL, my english don't help me.

• Advanced Member

WOnderful replies, thanks. What is this internet archive? wow!

I regognized the young workshop leader's problem with trying to capture the multitude of triangles found in a muscular back which are quite impossible to grasp without knowledge of what's happening inside.

About academy, I was kicked out because I was demanding that I would learn something there. That was the most ridiculous thing they had ever heard. Just make stuff spontaneously, I know.( Oh and talk too much , being conceptual and learning to hate esthetics, watch the documentary Scruton made about art concerning this subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiajXQUppYY! ) That's when I choose to learn something in a more practical environment: another academy; filled to the brim with techno toys, and still a few nice girls around! 8)

Enjoying the conversations about art lately here.

• Advanced Member

Nice post. I'm guessing Ryan's drawing his inspiration for this from Edouard Lanteri's book, Modelling and Sculpting the Human Figure.

Lanteri

Here's a deep resource

anatomy texts

Thanks good stuff.