3DCoat Forums

Wrap at edge

H. Maxwell

That would be a superb feature to make seamless disp. maps with a plane for instance...

.. as you go out of an edge, it continue to paint on the opposite side...

For example, ... you have a plane obj. dab some flowers here and there, go half outside any edge, the rest is automatically painted on the other side... very useful..

I know only one prog that has it... it'scalled Studio Artist... you can directly paint seamlessly...

Voila...

Thanks

H. Maxwell

I agree it would be a nice feature. But you can already do this in most any paint program, including 3DBrush. Just create a 3x3 grid primitive. Then setup the UV's for each face so it's UV space ranges from 0,0 to 1,1. Now all faces share the full UV space. As you paint across them, it will create a seamless texture. If you give me your e-mail address, i can send you an OBJ which i created in Modo. Works perfectly in 3DB...

jonah

Why we can't upload OBJ's on the forum?

• Advanced Member
I agree it would be a nice feature. But you can already do this in most any paint program, including 3DBrush. Just create a 3x3 grid primitive. Then setup the UV's for each face so it's UV space ranges from 0,0 to 1,1. Now all faces share the full UV space. As you paint across them, it will create a seamless texture. If you give me your e-mail address, i can send you an OBJ which i created in Modo. Works perfectly in 3DB...

jonah

Why we can't upload OBJ's on the forum?

You can compress it to .rar or .zip,then upload.

I have made that .rar and .obj could be attached.

SUCCESS!!! Thanks Andrew. While we are discussing it, it might be an easy solution for you to add a 3x3 grid as seamless plane primitive. I don't mind also if you want to add this OBJ to your content folder so it installs directly with your program. That would be OK with me... :)

jonah

seamless_paint_grid.rar

In general there is Import image plane. Why is it not the choice?

Does it automatically create seamless tile pattern as you paint? I just tried that, but it seemed to be a standard plane. And the Photoshop style "offset" is OK but not really good from a user point of view. Because you have to stop your strokes, then to continue in seperate pass. It's not convenient or fast...

jonah

• Advanced Member

But the seamless plane example produces strange artifacts when you draw onto one of the surrounding polys. Watch for the depth (much in the middle and less on the surrounding ones) and also color strokes get a strange erased border around them when not applied to the middle poly.

mike