3DCoat Forums

Earbud wrap

philnolan3d

I recently got a pair of earbuds and was getting frustrated with the wire getting tangled. So I came up with a simple idea to keep it neat. When this is finished I plan to have it printed from Shapeways. For reference the size is about 2.5" wide. I have the basic design down but it's a little bland. I've been trying to think of things that might spice it up a little. Maybe just some raised lines following the shape horizontally or something.

http://3d-coat.com/turntableID=131858770447

Edit: I just noticed the problem with the lower clips and fixed it. Minor issue.

I was actually thinking of maybe adding some sci-fi nurnies to it. Maybe both. The underside is actually more carved out to save sculpting material (and thus money) but I could put my logo on the top middle and nurnioes around it. I just have to be careful. It's hard to judge just how much detail I can add.

Underside:

2011-10-14_2046.png

I do have a logo already, inspired by the LOVE sculpture here in Philadelphia.

2011-10-14_2049.png

• Advanced Member

I was actually thinking of maybe adding some sci-fi nurnies to it. Maybe both. The underside is actually more carved out to save sculpting material (and thus money) but I could put my logo on the top middle and nurnioes around it. I just have to be careful. It's hard to judge just how much detail I can add.

Underside:

2011-10-14_2046.png

I do have a logo already, inspired by the LOVE sculpture here in Philadelphia.

2011-10-14_2049.png

I'd skip overt nurnies but I'd put the main 4 letter logo on there without the writing underneath and I might have some mech texture, a Jim Steranko/Jack Kirby style mechanical edge on the platform for the logo.

But just on the edge..

Fury1.jpg

• Advanced Member

That's a great idea, I just bought some earbuds also and have no case for them. I've been planning on using a small altoids container for now. :pardon:

I'm interested in seeing how this progresses and the cost of the final print.

Maybe add one of your head sculpts as a relief in the center? So many possibilities when you can print it.

I'm interested in seeing how this progresses and the cost of the final print.

I finally got it completes and uploaded to Shapeways. I can't believe the price though $24.26 for the cheapest material, White Strong & Flexible. While it's cool to have something I made printed, I question cif I want to spend that much.

Edit: I scaled the model down just a little, from 2.75" across to 2" and the price dropped by more than half to $11.48.

• Advanced Member

I finally got it completes and uploaded to Shapeways. I can't believe the price though $24.26 for the cheapest material, White Strong & Flexible. While it's cool to have something I made printed, I question cif I want to spend that much.

Edit: I scaled the model down just a little, from 2.75" across to 2" and the price dropped by more than half to $11.48.

Is that a sintered powder or a polymer extrusion technique?

• 3 weeks later...