3DCoat Forums

How to paint this pattern?

EduardoMC

I was browsing for information on PTex and general texturing when I came across this:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumblr.com/post/988352372

ptexpillow2.jpg

The pattern uses Ptex and the bump texture uses a UV map. Thanks to the 3D-Coat devs for the quick fix.

Essentially how did he get to paint project the pattern onto the irregular surface without distortion? You can see how the pattern wraps around the pillow quite nicely.

And, how did he add the bump map as a UV? I thought bump maps could not go alongside a PTex texture.

Regards,

Eduardo

By starting with something like a Top view, and having the material visible the whole time, you could gradually rotate the view - keeping the pattern aligned to what is already painted - and continue painting - until you have rotated all the way around. It's just a visual exercise.

This is where painting directly on the model is much simpler than trying to paint in UV space.

Greg Smith

What I'd really like to see is what Disney's painting software has where you can select specific polygons and it would lay them out flat temporarily while you paint on them, then when done they go back into position. Then you could even lay them flat and use the link to Photoshop for painting if you wanted.