3DCoat Forums
L'Ancien Regime

The Anatomy Project

I hope the above does help. I had posted a little update on my work but 3DCoat crashes now every time I try to load the file. I will repost when I get further along again.

Digman to the rescue. It's like you're some kind of god of 3d Coat that knows all its infinite mysteries.. :D:brush: :brush: :brush:

:clapping: :clapping:

But seriously I'm going to have to wrap my brains around what you've just told me..this is tough.. :blink:

Wow, I'm in trouble now...I reverted to a pre Autopo version of just the voxel sculpt and this is what I get...

OK...whew...I shut down 3d Coat and turned it back on and now it's able to load the original voxel sculpt properly...that's a relief.

post-3590-0-53704100-1321299416_thumb.jp

Just select Auto-retopo only. Next manually create your uv seams or run the auto uv mapper in the retopo room. This is my own workflow, as I always want to check stuff before being turned loose in the paint room. The auto uv mapper in the retopo room will not send you to the paint room. You have lots more control and more options at how you bake going this route...

post-518-0-22861300-1321304598_thumb.jpg

Just select Auto-retopo only. Next manually create your uv seams or run the auto uv mapper in the retopo room. This is my own workflow, as I always want to check stuff before being turned loose in the paint room. The auto uv mapper in the retopo room will not send you to the paint room. You have lots more control and more options at how you bake going this route...

Thanks. I just went out for a walk on a cold clear day with lots of wind and I got the idea that if I took that black autopo mesh and exported it as an obj then reimported it that might work. B)

OK did a straight up Autopo like you said and got this. But there's nothing in the UV Room or the Paint Room. What's the correct path to get the mesh into those places? There does seem to be some kind of one piece distorted UV map in the Retopo Room UV Prieveiw though.

post-3590-0-84986800-1321311862_thumb.jp

A big thank you to digman for taking a lot of time tonight to help me get my project back on track. There's a lot of stuff in 3d Coat that isn't really explicit in the manual and isn't laid out in any tutorials I've found. Digman very kindly laid a bridge over a stream of difficulties. Thanks a lot.

post-3590-0-36591600-1321352688_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-43605200-1321352701_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-49810800-1321352707_thumb.jp

Looking great and looks like you got your blending problem licked... B)

I wasn't happy with the cellular porous patches of the exposed inner bone on the trochanter and just using the material mask wasn't giving me what I wanted so i just took a hand paint brush with my Wacom Bamboo and with a very fine tip and a boosted displacement I went in and tweaked out the cellular mesh by hand.

That and some touch ups with the clone stamp tool just seemed to give it that extra pop I was looking for

post-3590-0-36920800-1342717581_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-79948800-1342717582_thumb.jp

I was surprised to find that even 3000 for what seemed to be a simple mesh like the Femur would still be inadequate but there's definitely some crude jaggies in the mesh particularly around some of the smaller protruberances.. But I learned a lot on it and it was a great platform for study. When I go back to it I'll have a lot more experience.

But now on to the Tibia/Fibia for some voxel sculpting. It's going to be interesting having two bones each in their layer to texture. My initial experiments were not promising but I had the Fibia hidden and neglected while I autopo'd the Tibia. When it came time to UV map (just the visible Tibia) there were definitely some problems getting a proper fitting of the islands on the 2d map. We shall see.

post-3590-0-97589600-1342808779_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-80393300-1342808780_thumb.jp

Wow! Great discovery. This will save an enormous amount of time. Good tip, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the tip!

I always avoid auto-retopo but

I'll give it a shot once more with your method.

I went back and tried just painting on map for extra detail without the edge flow splines and frankly even that screwed up the mesh. The best mesh is apparently just straight up autopo according to Andrew's algorithms..

Edge flow splines should force topology, they don't in 3dcoat.

However, I developed a workaround that produces almost good loops.

Here a video of my first tries on it. Many things are wrong but watch the results.

Of course, after all these more or less successful experiments, I returned to manual autopo. In fact i prefer blender for this job but this is another matter of discussion.

https://dl.dropbox.c...0/tut3DC_ZB.mov

A problem drives me mad ( it turns out that somehow my voxel sculpture is hollow and it's autotopologizing the surface of the inner hidden hollow, an artifact from creating the original voxel from a Maya .obj mess), and Digman rescues me by telling me to hit the fill command in the voxel sculpt's layers tab...

It seems like a trifle until you waste huge amounts of time trying to figure out what is going wrong...

post-3590-0-51836200-1343162123_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-73919200-1343162147_thumb.jp

It looks like you are using real bones as reference.

http://www.futuresho...r/10195789.aspx

yep...when I bought my 14 megapixel camera for $189 I thought that was cool but now this; 16 megapixels for $89!!

And they're great for hyper detail close up shots..

I carry mine with me in my pocket everywhere I go, always ready to "harvest textures" at a moment's notice without having to hassle with big bulky equipment.

I hear Nokia is coming out any day with a 41 megapixel phone camera with Carl Zeiss lenses in it. I'm hearing it'll be $699 unlocked..

http://www.pcworld.c..._in_the_us.html

You'll be able to extract 39 megapixels to Photoshop from it...

post-3590-0-17400600-1343511663_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-56975700-1343511882_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-45152900-1343511893_thumb.jp

Two hours on the talus...

Doing a deep study on it like this really makes me appreciate the inherent engineering that nature/god has place in the bone. Some parts of a bone are dense for structural strength, some parts are dense and smooth as joints that take a lot of friction, and other parts are porous, for lightness...it's amazing really. I wish my clumsy efforts could express this better..

post-3590-0-01648400-1343525377_thumb.jp

post-3590-0-77211000-1343525377_thumb.jp