3DCoat Forums

Sketch crashes 3D-coat

vivi

• Advanced Member

Well..I already sent the bug -report...

But some of you guys got it working ?

When I load my second image i'll get an error and it crashes.. also when I load just one and try to move a handle... it crashes.

People were discussing about Pixologic copying stuff from 3D-coat.. well..they copy it, but you gotta say..they copy good..at least Z-brush works! Whatever they promise, it really looks kick ass!

I purchased a Evaluation copy for 99Dollars, so it's not that bad...but If I would have paid 400Dollars...I surely would be very dissapointed...since u get Zbrush R2 for about 600Dollar...

And it's production ready..in my opinion 3D-coat is still a toy. Zbrush has just very nice and smooth sculpting tools...while Voxels in 3D-coat are still unprecise.

I love to play around with some tools though...but where is the point if you don't get it exported? AUTOPO works for simple stuff...but when doing heavy modelling, it will crash!

Then, still not working OpenGL, I have a Quadro 5000 which gives me no advantage, while working with DirectX at the moment right?

cheers

Vito

Remember that zbrush is a released full version, what you are using with 3DC is a beta. Bugs and crashing are to be expected. If you don't want to take that risk go back to 3.5.00. I personally haven't had the problem you mentioned, but I do occasionally see other bugs and I report them, but that's normal. Do you think zbrush was perfect for it's beta testers?

• Reputable Contributor

Sure ZBrush is very polished in many areas, and has been around longer...but there are also plenty of areas where 3D Coat sets itself apart. Pixologic took notice of those and implented most of the updates in v4 based on what they saw in 3D Coat.

I have a seat of ZBrush available at work, but have no plans to use it. 3D Coat does pretty much whatever I want it to do. There are some stability issues that crop up from time to time, but I don't know of a single developer that is as responsive as Andrew. There are still some features/tweaks that I'd like to see, but unlike other applications, I actually get to see many of those requests implemented.

When used with a robust desktop/workstation, 3D Coat is very capable of doing production work. I get a kick out of hearing people who rarely if ever use it, say that it isn't. I was sculpting hair in Voxels today today because the Hair and Fur toolset in Softimage was giving one of the artists fits. The Director took a look at and said "that will work, that's more like what the client wants." 3D Coat will keep getting looked at as a toy, and I will keep using it just to show people who think that...wrong.