3DCoat Forums

how to select and assign textures to different objects

• Advanced Member

I need to know how to assign textures to different objects with different UV-sets.

Basically I have 3 objects imported. All objects have their own textures. I want to assign those to each object. I CAN'T figure out how to do that.

and I don't understand how the layer system works.. also..how to choose a UV-set. It asks me when loading a texture. But I CAN't find a way how to select a UV-set. I think in the say prompt window is supposed to be a rollout..but there is none...

I would appreciate if someone could explain this simples tasks as I am trying to find out now for weeks.

Vito

If you will go to Textures->Import and try to import texture you will get dialog to choose UV-set. In so way you may import texture to any UV set for current layer. Layers are through all uv - sets.

In texture UV editor you may choose current UV set to paint in this editor.

In UV room you may select UV set to modify.

But what do you mean "Select UV set" ? What for select?

• Advanced Member

If you will go to Textures->Import and try to import texture you will get dialog to choose UV-set. In so way you may import texture to any UV set for current layer. Layers are through all uv - sets.

In texture UV editor you may choose current UV set to paint in this editor.

In UV room you may select UV set to modify.

But what do you mean "Select UV set" ? What for select?

This is not what I wanted to know. I was asking for an example on how to assign textures, to different objects separately. For example.

- I import 3 different objects to 3D-coat.

- I want to apply texture sets ( color, normal, spec ) which are already created to those objects.

when I load a texure for object01, it also applies it object02.

In the screenshot u can see my layers. Now first layer contains the normal for objects 1 and the second for object 2. the third layer is empty. ( was that the default layer before importing?)

but then the last layer contain color for both objects.

I don't understand the way this works. It is so confusing. Please look at my second screenshot.

It's just a rough idead how to clean things up a bit. Personally, I think its better to be able to select objects and then get those properties. So I can be sure I am just editing the texture of this object and not touching something else by accident which at the moment happens to me all the time. Certainly my idea is not perfect yet, nor is it something new. I just wanna point out a direction.

A preview window for the selected layer is in my opinion a must! Seriously, I keep screwing up my textures because I don't know which layers belongs to where and one layer containing normal,spec and color is not a good solution in my opinion. I hope the community agrees with that.

I wanna explain my current workflow. which is impossible at the moment.

I modeled a fantasy building (rough concept )

Because it will be very complex building with many parts being animated later on. I want to rebuild it part by part.

So I am trying to retopo parts, texture them, and then copy them (in paint mode?), and re-align etc. To make the model more complex, but reusing parts.

I tried exporting my textures,copying the parts and loading the texture back to those objects...but it screws up everything. The current layer system seems to make this impossible. Plus...suddenly it asks me to choose a UV-set. And as I said before...I don't know where to select it?

cheers

Vito

post-3388-0-71548000-1319818616_thumb.jp

post-3388-0-34696200-1319818629_thumb.jp

post-3388-0-40164800-1319819204_thumb.jp

You should understand well organisation of objects in 3D-Coat (I think same for max & maya)

- object is just set of polygons, it is independent on UV sets.

- materials are also sets of polygons, usually UV set contains severalmaterials

- UV-sets correspond to textures. They in general exist independently on objects.

- layers exist through all objects and UV sets.

So if you merge object in paint room from retopo room - it creates 1 object, materials that correspond to retopo groups and UV sets that correspond to UV sets in retopo room. Every merge retopo->paint creates this set. So objects and UV sets may be related but it is not 1:1 correspondence.

If you will do some simple retopo piece and merge you will get 1 object 1 materialand 1 uv set. Better if at least UV sets will have unique names. If you willmerge object from Filemenuit will also create additionalobjects, materials and UV sets.

• Advanced Member

You should understand well organisation of objects in 3D-Coat (I think same for max & maya)

- object is just set of polygons, it is independent on UV sets.

- materials are also sets of polygons, usually UV set contains severalmaterials

- UV-sets correspond to textures. They in general exist independently on objects.

- layers exist through all objects and UV sets.

So if you merge object in paint room from retopo room - it creates 1 object, materials that correspond to retopo groups and UV sets that correspond to UV sets in retopo room. Every merge retopo->paint creates this set. So objects and UV sets may be related but it is not 1:1 correspondence.

If you will do some simple retopo piece and merge you will get 1 object 1 materialand 1 uv set. Better if at least UV sets will have unique names. If you willmerge object from Filemenuit will also create additionalobjects, materials and UV sets.

Thanks Andrew, I still didn't get it completely though..

Basically you are saying that a layer is not per object base, but kinda a scene layer.

I also understand the UV editor, but think that it needs to be closer to the layer panel. always having to open the UV editor is not the best solution I think.

I tried to make a video on the layer problems...

but I lost the audiotrack...so u better scrub to 1:50

I still don't understand it well.

sorry if it is something simple that I just don't get....

Think about layers as you think about Photoshop layers. Layer0 is like Background in PS.

When 3DC bakes voxels->paint room it creates layers named as voxel objects. Color is baked to that layers, but normalmap is baked to single "Normlmap" layer.

Regarding white - check if you have not chosen color only view mode.

Also check if you are using 3.5.27A - there was problems with sequential baking in previous versions.

edit: I tested this workflow, looks like it really produces problems. I will discover it abit more, it is too late there now...

Try to press CTRL-X or click on object visibility eye twice, looks like it solves problems.

• Advanced Member

Think about layers as you think about Photoshop layers. Layer0 is like Background in PS.

When 3DC bakes voxels->paint room it creates layers named as voxel objects. Color is baked to that layers, but normalmap is baked to single "Normlmap" layer.

Regarding white - check if you have not chosen color only view mode.

Also check if you are using 3.5.27A - there was problems with sequential baking in previous versions.

oh i see...gonna download it right now.

thanks heaps

vito