3DCoat Forums

how to preserve details?

vivi

Currently the only way to preserve rez is the way you had tried. Source layers adopt the voxRez of the target Layer. You have to increase the target layer to desired level to preserve detail.

There has been some mention of developing something like liveClay on the voxel end. I'm not aware if it's still on the list.

I wouldn't be surprised if liveClay got good booleans some time down the road. Either would be a solution for you issue.

I have performed booleans with voxels in hiRez and my RAM would peek to 7+ GB (out of 8GB), no crashes. It took time, but I found it very stable. In the current state of 3DC you can leave that step for the end, increase your voxLayer rez and merge.

• Advanced Member

LiveClay is great for this type of thing if you stamp on alphas rather than sculpting (due to slowdown). LiveClay is still in beta though but worth checking out if you haven't already.

I did a quick test with LiveClay starting with the default cube. In Surface mode i select the LiveClay tool, it's Detail value defaults to something really low like 0.70 which i change to 100 which i use just for stamping details as on my computer i get huge slowdown if i try to sculpt but it might work better for people with good computers.

When i stamp (A single click of the mouse) on the alpha/brush it gives really high detail in that area only so even though i start with a fairly low res cube i have ultra high detail where i want.

The standard view with my default shader -

post-1319-0-89905900-1319929161_thumb.pn

With Wireframe (Hold W key) -

post-1319-0-32649800-1319929177_thumb.pn

• Advanced Member

I am not sure how to do what you wanted however as usually i just leave things on layers rather than merge them. Having multiple layers allows me to use really high detail with voxels but if i keep it all on one layer i get slowdown which is why my workflow is that way currently. I would like to find out a good solution for this also.

Maybe if there is no way to do it now the LiveClay technology could be used somehow for merging voxel layers and keeping high details when merging to a lower res layer.

• Reputable Contributor

I will add my 2 cents worth by adding information to a picture. The gray screwhead was started from 250,000 voxel using some boolean cut. I normally would not start quite so low but wanted to show that having some sharper detail does not have to start in the extra high voxel count.

I would use the resample tool to boost in steps as I needed more voxel material for cutting or adding stuff.

Your clone tool and cut and clone tools are great for boolean cuts and additions. Grab a cube and experiment with them. hold down the control key to make cuts.

What is really good too is once you make your cut or addition the tool remains for further use.

The picture is a fast work but shows that even under 4 million polys you can fairly decent detail. Double it up to 8 it would even better.

Surface mode was used for adding details on the gold layer.

Gray layer is voxel mode.

LC Inflate tool for details

post-518-0-92944200-1319941121_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...