3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

Maybe this is the wrong place to post, but is there a way to get some background color in Photoshop when using 3DCoats projection paint? It always just renders out the model with a clear background, which makes it hard to judge colors correctly. You can add a background layer every time make a new projection and then delete it before going back to 3DCoat but why should anyone need to? But maybe the option is just really well hidden?

Also, it would be great if you could have a wires layer when doing projection paint instead of a lighting one. Having a layer to show lighting makes sense if you're painting highpoly meshes, but for lowpoly it's basically useless.

And while on the subject of painting, why does 3DCoat delete all color info outside of the UV borders? Just like with projections, not being able to have neutral colors around what your painting (without redundant steps taken to continuously correct it) can be a problem.

If just these three things were changed the painting feature would be imo infinitely superior to how it is right now.

• Advanced Member

newest update has introduced/re-introduced a couple of bugs in the paint room. Edit files in external editor is bringing back maps that don't reflect what is being saved. It's also adding max specularity upon re-importing from photoshop. I've had several crashes while using the polygon lasso paint mode as well.

Jumping back to 3.7.03c, the bugs seem to not be in this version.

windows cuda 64

Edit: Crashing while using polygon lasso e-mode seems to persist in 3.7.03c

Hi guys,

I can't (per pixel) bake the color of the shader, 'Marble 2', with 3d-coat 3.7.2 and 3.7.4C mac64. It seems that 'Marble' works good.

Baking a suface with 'Marble 2', then I saw kinda white surface on the paint room.

Does anyone see a same problem?

• Advanced Member

Hi guys,

I can't (per pixel) bake the color of the shader, 'Marble 2', with 3d-coat 3.7.2 and 3.7.4C mac64. It seems that 'Marble' works good.

Baking a suface with 'Marble 2', then I saw kinda white surface on the paint room.

Right. It doesn't work.

• Advanced Member

Wow, am I pretty pissed off, I spent quite a bit of time with a sculpt, I used an auto generated UV set and did a lot of painting etc, saving as I went, then, because of the UV seams not hidden causing Softimage to show these seams on rendering, I decided to ditch the auto generated seams and create new ones in the UV room, I went with one island, similar to a pelt, I applied the new UV's and all went well, then I saved again. I then tried to "export model", like I always do and 3dc crashed, I opened 3dc up again and tried to open the scene and now it crashes 3dc trying to open it. I even tried to merge the scene, but 3dc again crashes. Sure, I can open an earlier version of the scene, but without all the hours I have just put in.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

@ Tser, sorry you lost work but if using the newest beta version be prepared for crashes, bugs and possible lost work. I would not do any production work with a beta. I had a serious crash in the last version, posted a bug report, now that bug is fixed. I know there will be others for awhile.

If you are using a beta, save every few minutes with a different name to avoid major lost of work. Later you can delete the ones that are not necessary or use auto-save as AbnRanger suggested...

• Advanced Member

Just tried again with an earlier saved scene, which I copied just in case, I just changed the UV's in the UV room to one island, in a pelt style, applied the UV set, all went well and the texture editor shows the new layout, but when I go to "File>Export>Export Model" select to Export color and displacement with Create padding and using TIF formats, all I get is "Saving the Texture" and it crashed 3dc again. NOW this scene I cannot open as it crashes 3dc trying!!!

Does anyone else have this problem?

• Advanced Member

This sounds like a corrupted Options.XML file. Delete it and install the last version before the Voxel Painting was introduced, and see if those files open without crashing.

Tried deleting the Options.xml file and 3dc still crashed trying to open the scene, tried with all versions back to 3.7-02C with no luck opening the corrupted scene file, all the earlier versions do is lock up when trying to load.

T.

• Advanced Member

I tried opening a new scene and chose the MV paint with the default sphere, performed the same UV changes to a single Island, applied it, and saved, exported it and all went well, no crash!! so why does my sculpt crash 3dc?

T.

• Advanced Member

Send me scene to support and I will help to recover if file is not cut.

I have recovered with an earlier scene, just had to repaint, thanks anyway, I will do some testing to see if I can find out what is causing the crash.

T.

• Advanced Member

Something is not right with the Retopo room, I cannot manually unwrap the UV's when marking my own seams, I can automatically create seams and unwrap those. I can go to the UV room and unwrap seams which I have created, but I need this in the Retopo room so I can merge the retopoed & UVed mesh to MV paint, anyone else have this problem (Linux).

T.

Hi guys,

I fixed it, but you may easily fix it too. Copy file Variables.xml from

...Installation folder.../3D-CoatV3/Shaders/Custom/Marble/

to

...Installation folder.../3D-CoatV3/Shaders/Custom/Marble2/

Something is not right with the Retopo room, I cannot manually unwrap the UV's when marking my own seams, I can automatically create seams and unwrap those. I can go to the UV room and unwrap seams which I have created, but I need this in the Retopo room so I can merge the retopoed & UVed mesh to MV paint, anyone else have this problem (Linux).

T.

You can't mark seams or you can't unwrap? Please clarify where exactly problem is.

• Advanced Member
You can't mark seams or you can't unwrap? Please clarify where exactly problem is.

I wasn't able to unwrap after I had defined my seams, but I found the problem, my mesh I was trying to unwrap had 4x "5 sided n-gons", so I changed them to triangles and quads and now I can unwrap o.k.

BTW, this was also the CRASHING problem I had with exporting my model from the Paint room, now that there is only quads and triangles the export works fine without crashing 3dc.

I have also noticed that when I "Merge into the scene (MV)" in the Retopo room, 3dc forgets the name of the scene you are working on and its no longer displayed on the 3dc application window bar and when you do an incremental save you have to specify the scene name again.

T.

Is it just me, or is the Sculpting speed suddenly much slower than it has been in the past...like before LiveClay? I've been working on models ranging from a few million to 20-30 mill, and they are all slow as molasses lately. I don't recall it being this bad before. Maybe I'm imagining things. I thought the Multi-threading work done affected more than just switching to voxel Volume and such. I could have sworn that brush strokes were also multi-threaded just like they are in the Paint Room.

Andrew, did you disable something in order to keep LiveClay more stable or something? I may have to install 3.5 or something. Can work like this....having to work with tiny brush sizes on a medium res model (6 core AMD CPU @ 4ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 470).

Seems nothing was touched that may cause it. Where do you feel slowdown? navigation? some particular tool or command?

VoxPaint cannot currently baked to lowpoly? Can somebody confirm?

I VoxPainted my hipoly leather shoe. Imported its lowpoly target, UVW unwrapped mesh to Retopo room, snapped to voxel/reference mesh.

Selected menu: Retopo - - - Bake Texture

It baked only flat grey color to the UV-islands.

Have you tried Merge > PPP or MV? Using the Texture Baking tool within the Retopo Room won't merge the baked texture. It will just create a map and leave it in the directory you chose.

I create a voxel object, paint it over with a mask. Do a retopo above, 12 quads, create its UV-s. Export this retopo to OBJ.

Gone to Paint room, merged the OBJ so I can see it in UV-window perfectly relaxed UV-s as the checkermap shows.

Paint room ----->Textures - - - Texture Baking Tool baked color map

The UV-islands are filled with only flat shader color in the TGA file. Reinstalled 3D-Coat, deleted settings in MyDocuments.

It seems baking of VoxPaint will be supported in future releases

hey there

first of all i am poly painting voxels for the first time today and i love it

sorry if the information is in the thread somewhere but i spent some time reading thru everything and i couldn't find it

1/

if i poly paint on voxels whats the best way to export the result on a manual retopo mesh ? i tried this from the retopo room using merge with PP but it just pulled the voxel shader for the baking process not the polypaint

2/

merge into scene with MV from the retopo room seems to bake the polypaint more or less as expected - so what are you guys using to bake ?

3/ if baking from the retopo room is not ready yet how do we best get the painted model out of 3dc - can i get a quick how to from someone ?

thanks for your time

p

Also I need some help how to make compatible vertex color OBJ export and xNormal. If someone may, please direct me how to bake vertex color in xNormal. I can't bake it even when I am using hipoly mesh from ZB. I want to write letter to developer, but I can't do it until I will be able to bake at least some color in xNormal.