3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Anyone offer advice for 3d-coat that is crashing constantly? I've tried every version between 14a-17a between multiple meshes and within the first few passes at my model it crashes. I tried deleting options.xml but that didn't help.

using windows 7, cuda 64 version. It was working fine earlier in the week and then it just up and decided to crash at every possible turn. This is in the paint room, and it seems to crash when I use hotkeys but that's not always what triggers it.

• Reputable Contributor

Anyone offer advice for 3d-coat that is crashing constantly? I've tried every version between 14a-17a between multiple meshes and within the first few passes at my model it crashes. I tried deleting options.xml but that didn't help.

using windows 7, cuda 64 version. It was working fine earlier in the week and then it just up and decided to crash at every possible turn. This is in the paint room, and it seems to crash when I use hotkeys but that's not always what triggers it.

The first thing I always attempt to do in situations like that, is to close the app. Delete the (My Documents > 3D Coat) Options.XML file. That gets corrupted sometimes, and can exhibit bug-type of behavior.

• Advanced Member

Yeah, I've loaded in multiple meshes. I can crash it every time with using my hotkey for the paint bucket tool (which I have set to "K") if that means anything to anybody.

edit: definitely something to do with hotkeys, I deleted the options_hotkeys file, went to set my hotkeys back up (q for brush, k for paint bucket) and as soon as I try to use those hotkeys it crashes.

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, I've loaded in multiple meshes. I can crash it every time with using my hotkey for the paint bucket tool (which I have set to "K") if that means anything to anybody.

edit: definitely something to do with hotkeys, I deleted the options_hotkeys file, went to set my hotkeys back up (q for brush, k for paint bucket) and as soon as I try to use those hotkeys it crashes.

Definitely contact Andrew (support@3d-coat.com) with this problem. I'm not noticing it on my machine, so only he could help get to the root of the problem.

• Contributor

Definitely contact Andrew (support@3d-coat.com) with this problem. I'm not noticing it on my machine, so only he could help get to the root of the problem.

Oh yes, definitely we have a nasty bug with preset and hotkeys, maybe some users are affected differently but there's something going on.

Brush pressure curve is not saved when a tool is changed.

And the curve has broken.

A curve is saved at a file.

Even if it loads a file, a curve breaks.

I want this function to operate normally.

3d-Coat-V37-17B-CUDA64

Win7 core i7-3770 GTX670

• Like 1

Voxels room tips.

post-11856-0-94139800-1346031419_thumb.j

Please see a picture first.

Thus, if brush pressure curve of "grow" is changed, it will become like "scrape."

It is very easier to treat this than "scrape."

This state has a possibility of differing from a developer's intention.

However, I desire continuation of this function.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Voxels room tips.

post-11856-0-94139800-1346031419_thumb.j

Please see a picture first.

Thus, if brush pressure curve of "grow" is changed, it will become like "scrape."

It is very easier to treat this than "scrape."

This state has a possibility of differing from a developer's intention.

However, I desire continuation of this function.

It's actually better than scrape since you can tune the intensity of the scrape effect which is not possible with scrape brush. Tnx for the tip :)

I would actually suggest to replace scrape with the grow and the curve you're suggesting. Depth is helping to tune the intensity.

• Advanced Member

Hi Guys, its been a while, but I am trying to tweak the vertices in the retopo room and nothing happens, it works with edges and faces but not with verices, anyone else have this problem, this happens with 14B and 16A.

T.

• Advanced Member

It appears that I can only tweak the vertices if I have a voxel model under the mesh, no voxel model = no tweaking the vertices of the retopo mesh...

Very strange that I can tweak the faces or edges.

It appears that I can only tweak the vertices if I have a voxel model under the mesh, no voxel model = no tweaking the vertices of the retopo mesh...

Very strange that I can tweak the faces or edges.

It has always been like this, however the latest version 3.7.17A, which doesn't seem to be officially posted on the front page, allows you to do it and a number of other new modeling tools without a voxel mesh underneath.

Here's a link to the 64 bit version that someone posted a couple of pages back.

http://www.3d-coat.c...-17A-CUDA64.exe

Updated to 3.7.18 (Win)

- Retopo tools got Faces extrude tool in face selection mode - http://bit.ly/MC23kz

- Other retopo improvement - automatic vert/edge/face selection in retopo select tool. Doubleclick will select connective area.

- Selection become additive. Use CTRL D or ESC or click outside the retopo mesh to deselect.

- New UI global feature - if you are changing something dragging mouse manually you may press SPACE and enter exact numerical value. Space has now double action - usually choose tool, but in tools where yo pressed mouse and drag something it allows to enter precise value. It is applied to gizmos, primitives, split ring tool in retopo room.

- Collada (dae) import-export introduced as first beta.

- Add/split,Quads may work in free space too if you attaching polygons to existing geometry.

- General retopo settings moved to Menu line to save space.

- Points&faces retopo tool got set of improvements:

(1) Possibility to assign other tool on CTRL, SHIFT, CTRL+SHIFT - http://bit.ly/NpAMYE

(2) possibility to create quads only,

(3) possibility to work in free space

- In this build there will be possibility to navigate with arrow keys, ALT+arrows and NUM + -. In may cases it is convenient. Just choose navi scheme "3D-Coat_Arrows"

- Instancing&proxy problems fixed - http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=588

- Fixed retopo problem that leads to disappearing faces (rarely) after welding nearby vertices.

in so way you will get good combination of artistic "on eye" and exact tools for precise work.

- Big load of bugs from mantis fixed.

I just noticed this change "WARNING! Beta versions are limited in time to 10 Dec 2012. Then you will need to move to upcoming V4 when was this added and it kind feel wrong . thought all point updated where just that point updates with some beta some bug fixes.

• Reputable Contributor

I just noticed this change "WARNING! Beta versions are limited in time to 10 Dec 2012. Then you will need to move to upcoming V4 when was this added and it kind feel wrong . thought all point updated where just that point updates with some beta some bug fixes.

All point updates have been (over 4yrs now...that's a lot of free updates), but Andrew is close to releasing V4 and as you know, every software withholds certain features until an official release. For example, the average user of ZB had no access to any of the new R4 tools until the official release. Instead of doing that, Andrew is allowing these last few (Release Candidate) builds to be used for a limited time. He's trying to be graceful about it. I think he should, for the sake of clarity, name these last few builds V4 RC (Release Candidate).

If everyone has all the tools in V4, few will see a reason to upgrade anytime soon.

Thanx a lot for all the fixes!

yeah fixes and then once 4v comes out it's taken away.

Also Abnranger If this is true "All point updates have been (over 4yrs now...that's a lot of free updates)" how are they free if they are taken away at given date.

Maybe i don't understand what he means.

All i know is when i upgraded from V2 to V3 i wasn't forced and i didn't lose any updates. i upgraded when i was ready and again i lose any point updates. i just didn't get any of v3 things. So it just seems wrong now. Unless he's going to release a stable V3 with point released updates minus the v4 Beta things then i'm down with that. If not then anyone want to buy my copy of V3... only available after i know what's going on. hehe