3DCoat Forums

Memory management tuning and increasing stability

Andrew Shpagin

When 3DC is run you can see the amount of free memory at left bottom corner. If this value becomes too low (200-300M) the program can work unstably. This tutorial will help you to increase stability in easy way.

3D-Coat consumes much memory for high detailed objects, so it is important to allow to 3D-Coat use as much virtual memory as possible. So, please adjust virtual memory settings as it shown on the picture (it is valid for 32-bit Windows XP)

MyComputer->Properties->Advanced->Performance->Addvanced->Virtual Memory->Change

VirtualMem.jpg

Please set there 4096 K

Since 2.07 3D-Coat supports larger virtual memory range support. If you are using 64-bit windows you will be able to use up to 4GB of virtual memory. So, using 64-bit windows with 3DC is a best choice. If you are using 32-bit windows, you can usually use 2 GB of virtual memory, but you can increase that size using special option /3GB in the file boot.ini. Using the option you will be able to use 3GB of memory with 3DC. Of cause you should be careful with that file.

How to find the file boot.ini?

1) Right-click My Computer and select Properties. The System Properties dialog box will appear.

2) Click the Advanced tab.

3) In the Startup and Recovery area, click Settings. The Startup and Recovery dialog box will appear.

4) In the System startup area, click Edit. This will open the Windows boot.ini file in Notepad.

5) In the [Operating Systems] section, add the following switches to the end of the startup line that includes the /fastdetect switch: /3GB

6) Save the changes and close Notepad.

7) Click OK two times to close the open dialog boxes, and then restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Restart the computer for the change to take effect.

You can read more about /3GB option there

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124810.aspx

www.vfxpedia.com/index.php?title=FAQ/3GB_Switch

• 1 year later...
Just to note: On my last workstation, I had the 3GB switch destroy some of my memory.

Yeah, I had some other weird stuff happening besides the font issue but couldn't actually nail down exactly that it was related so I didn't post before.

thanks

Yeah I thought not. But somehow it did. It fried two modules of mine.

I'm a little paranoid when it comes to new gear. I always test everything to make sure it's good. I ran some tests on the memory when I got it, everything indicated it was fine. A few months later, I decided to run the /3GB switch (for zbrush no less), first try out with zbrush on the switch, my computer crashed hard. It would turn on, but I was getting a system beep for bad/no memory installed.

Yanked those suckers out... Ran like a champ. Of course I turned off the switch after that... It was a nightmare. The RAM was still relatively new at that point. :(

PS- I tried the ram again, and anything it was in, gave bad/no memory system beeps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Yeah I thought not. But somehow it did. It fried two modules of mine.

I'm a little paranoid when it comes to new gear. I always test everything to make sure it's good. I ran some tests on the memory when I got it, everything indicated it was fine. A few months later, I decided to run the /3GB switch (for zbrush no less), first try out with zbrush on the switch, my computer crashed hard. It would turn on, but I was getting a system beep for bad/no memory installed.

Yanked those suckers out... Ran like a champ. Of course I turned off the switch after that... It was a nightmare. The RAM was still relatively new at that point. :(

PS- I tried the ram again, and anything it was in, gave bad/no memory system beeps.

I've not heard of that before? How is it possible it could destroy hardware?

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I build my own computers and I have never had any problem with the 3gig switch and have used it for years if you know what you are doing. It should have know effect on hardware you have another problem if you get burned out memory.

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I've not heard of that before? How is it possible it could destroy hardware?

it isnt. Sounds more like a very unfortunate coincidence + faulty ram chips. Were it possable to damage hardware like that then computer viruses would be one hell of a lot more dangerous.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...