3DCoat Forums

voxel to micro vertex?

Bin

Hi people, I'm a little confused about the workflow here.

so, I got my sculpture mostly done in voxel room, retopoed into good edge flow;

next, I want to add finer surface detail so I used "merge into scene(microverts)", set up polycounts and go to paint room to refine.

but, then I realized the polycount was not high enough for all the small wrinkles, so can I make it higher res like subdivide in Zbrush?

additionally, if some bigger shape change need to be adjust, is there a way to go back to voxel room? or I can only use the Sculpt room to move stuff around a bit?

when sculpting in voxel room, even surface mode gets slow with a big brush and high polycount. so I was wondering, how "refined" in voxel room people usually sculpt?

thank you for your time and patience :D

Hi Bin,

1. First of all you must realize that in the Paint Room you actually paint the details as displacement or/and normal map texture. So, the resolution is determined by texture's resolution that you choose in the prompt window (the higher the resolution the finer small details will be). That means you don't have to subdivide the mesh actually. The carcass resolution is mesh' resolution that you see in the viewport. The problem may be in that you don't see the detail high-res enough. Well, you may try View->Adjust Subpatching->Show polygons as is (checkbox).

2. Will answer more detailed soon...

3. If you have such situation try this:

Hi Bin,

1. First of all you must realize that in the Paint Room you actually paint the details as displacement or/and normal map texture. So, the resolution is determined by texture's resolution that you choose in the prompt window (the higher the resolution the finer small details will be). That means you don't have to subdivide the mesh actually. The carcass resolution is mesh' resolution that you see in the viewport. The problem may be in that you don't see the detail high-res enough. Well, you may try View->Adjust Subpatching->Show polygons as is (checkbox).

2. Will answer more detailed soon...

3. If you have such situation try this:

thanks a lot, Daniel

the carcass resolution does make a big difference.

but, just a little test I did, using same default sphere, with different initial polycount at 4M and 0.5M, all other settings the same(4k map, show polygons as is)

in the image I attached, the higher polycount(left) have much finer edge.

So, even with same texture resolution, the polycount still makes big difference? then can I increase it? :P

and I tried to crank up the subpatch degree, it helps increasing resolution into certain degree, but later, no longer how big the number is(like 128), there is no difference?

-----------------

the proxy mode definitely is a time saver :D

thanks

post-7145-0-08597700-1322149273_thumb.jp