3DCoat Forums
michalis

A greco-roman terracotta

@Slipping_Through_07

Thank you, the good news are that cycles is a fine modern renderer. It's so easy to export and setup a preview when sculpting in 3dc or other app.

A direct export from sculpting room, a fast projected texture, place it in a studio template scene and render.

Here's another

Vol3Nep.jpg

This is as good as it gets in 3d coat. Thanks for sharing. Your textures are awesome.

Thanks taros, less in cavity OK, how can I fill it with a color and export a cavity map? Is it possible?

I need separated maps to use them under cycles nodal system. Something like this LOL ok just doodling with materials.

testDisplCycles.jpg

This belongs up front on the 3d Coat website as part of the 3d coat publicity..totally professional work of high quality.

• Like 1

LOL, thank you all.

IMO totally not professional work. I mean, I know very well how to transfer low def meshes with all king of UV mapping to a renderer. Bit this doesn't make it professional.

Please let me post some cycles "shots" here. Though I didn't use 3dcoat (I will for the final project of course) neither zbrush or even sculptris.

A pure blender sculpting and rendering then. No UVs or baking so far. A WIP. Just procedural shaders, just a preview.

2g%233S.jpg

2g%232S.jpg

twoOldPL.jpg

And a clay render

clayOldP.jpg

• Like 3

@chingchong

Thank you.

what are they saying...

A scene, after a funeral.

Speak low, for not attracting the attention of the gods. Hubris.

Back to my usual studies. Another grecoroman style head.

This is sculpted in zbrush and quickly painted in 3dcoat.

Two displacement maps in use (baked in zb). One for the four subd levels and a second one, baked at this subd level, used as bumps.

And, a third bump map exported from 3dc. Also a dirt map. All mixed and rendered in cycles.

grecoroman%233S.jpg

• Like 2

Amazing...how do you pick your subjects?

Thanks.

I did a lot studies on such subjects in the past.

Now, just from memory. Or just imagining. The style comes from many sources. A good one is terracottas found in egypt.

Egypt was always the source for many things in art.

Here for instance, a roman statue of Isis lactans... before the birth of christ...

post-2454-0-11510900-1346271812_thumb.jp

Nice pieces, as always.

I like the two old people.

The grand Ma's expression is great.

It is a statue, but I feel there's something alive around the eyes.

@Slipping_Through_07 @Garagarape

Thank you.

I post this new one here, though not a 3dc project yet.

A blender only sculpt, but I like my antiqBronze cycles shader. It's procedural, and I can have fast render previews as I sculpt on this material. Under a physically correct pathtracer like cycles.

3dcoat has a nice renderer too. Not that good but I like it. On the contrary, zbrush provides a renderer that lies. So nice details that don't even exist under a decent render engine.

New blender sculpting has some nice tools, well organized, 3dc devs should pay some attention on this.

AntiqBronze.jpg

For all blender users, here's a blend file (suzanne) with this shader, plus a decimated texture.

It's for the new blender 2.64 (download it, official). Please, if you see a pink color, re-assign the included texture)

AntiqBronze shader blend file

• Like 1

Thank you all. You're too kind.

Tremendous effort I wouldn't say. I was demonstrating blender sculpting to a friend and this came up. It's great to work, sometimes, without concept. (Pilou)

Now, I started retopo and some tests under MV mode, to export a decent displacement from this. Not good so far...

I also tried some fast autopos, it's a static model after all. A 5k mesh gave me 200 n-gons. What's happening here?

N-gons are bad in my case, I had in mind to import the cage in blender, heavy subdivide and shrinkwrap it to the original. Resulting to a multires mesh for further sculpting - painting etc. (zb-mb like method)

Blender can handle 10M or more under my hardware configuration, maintaining excellent smooth performance. And, I really love the brushes there.

Unfortunately, autopo provides data that conflicts badly with blender multires modifier. So, lagging at 1M... N-gons are a disaster in such cases. To manually edit 200-300 n-gons is out of the question. Better go for manual retopo. In the past, 3dc autopo was able to provide cages with 10-20 n-gons only. What has changed?

@The Candy-floss Kid

Thank you.

In fact, I have to use references long time now. Most of my ancient style studies are from memory.

For me is much easier to use some photos of a real person. Likeness is the easiest. But adding details with precision or such isn't what I'm after.

Composing shapes, some kind of hidden geometrical solution, abstract composition, this is all about. Any likeness or naturalism are just illusions, they just happen. This is how I understand sculpting.

A one eye man, probably a wrestler (probably pankration )

An attempt for a real cyclops LOL

wresR1S.jpg

Composing shapes, some kind of hidden geometrical solution, abstract composition, this is all about. Any likeness or naturalism are just illusions, they just happen. This is how I understand sculpting.

The glabella forehead and brow in particular show this to wonderful effect. I love the turbulence you achieved here. Much to admire.

Thanks, I was trying to imply a third eye there.

I found it difficult to imagine a cyclops. Still searching on this.

I don't mean a Ray Harryhausen's version. Though I admire his work, a central eye is too much for me. LOL He added a horn too. Nice. he he

But, cyclopses somehow existed. In some form. Maybe a man with an eye on the material world. The second eye is for the reason, maybe. Polyphemus had no chance against Odysseus. Especially when he drunk this well known, famous greek "table wine" Retsina. I still avoid it. Lessons from the ancient world. We may have two eyes but we risk to lose both of them. :rofl: