3DCoat Forums

Beginner's Tutorial questions

digman

• Reputable Contributor

Hello All

I'm working on finding the time to put together a beginner's tutorial in PDF format. I'm asking the community what would be some good areas(Basic understanding, etc) to cover for newcommers. If you are new to 3D world or 3D painting, let me know what was the hardest to understand and learn about 3D-Coat.Thanks in advance.

I will be using "Wink" a free but good screen capturing program.

http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

• Contributor
Very cool! Very glad to hear!

Special thanks for the link to the program. It is exactly what we need to make tutorials.

A free version of Camtasia3 is(was) available. An ideal tool to learn. and make top notch tutorial screen capture/voice over, for those interested.

Hello All

I'm working on finding the time to put together a beginner's tutorial in PDF format. I'm asking the community what would be some good areas(Basic understanding, etc) to cover for newcommers. If you are new to 3D world or 3D painting, let me know what was the hardest to understand and learn about 3D-Coat.Thanks in advance.

The ideal tutorial would show how each tool is used including a sample or two of an object with the tool applied. Some good sample layouts can be viewed at VTC.

• Advanced Member
Hello All

I would like to see someone approach hair textureing with alpha channel in 3D Coat? Maybe hair like that is not possible, but its important for game artist.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Are there any tutorials for voxel sculpting? I downloaded a bunch and none of them seem to cover voxels. Whenever I import an obj model and then press the voxel sculpting button, the model disappears and I'm left with a very large red transparent plane. I'm new to the alpha, so I'm obviously missing something. I've spent a couple of hours going through the forum and looking at the basic tutorials so I thought that I would ask, to speed things up. I'll gladly contribute some 3dcoat videos on youtube to help others if someone will just get me started.

Best,

Erin.

• Advanced Member
Are there any tutorials for voxel sculpting? I downloaded a bunch and none of them seem to cover voxels. Whenever I import an obj model and then press the voxel sculpting button, the model disappears and I'm left with a very large red transparent plane. I'm new to the alpha, so I'm obviously missing something. I've spent a couple of hours going through the forum and looking at the basic tutorials so I thought that I would ask, to speed things up. I'll gladly contribute some 3dcoat videos on youtube to help others if someone will just get me started.

Best,

Erin.

Hi Erin, you need to use "Merge"-"Select object" to import a model to voxel mode, as show in the picture below:

post-445-1240808498_thumb.jpg

Hi Erin, you need to use "Merge"-"Select object" to import a model to voxel mode, as show in the picture below:

Thanks lc8b105,

What's the next step though? If I deactivate the "Merge" button, the model disappears. I also cannot rotate around the model, it just flies off and I'm rotating on a pivot that is placed somewhere near the camera I think. Shouldn't the viewports rotate around the origin by default? Also, is there an equivalent key in 3dcoat that does the same as the "f" key in Maya, so that you can center the viewports on the origin again?

Best,

Erin.

• Advanced Member

after you've selected the object you want to 'merge', just hit the 'enter' key on your

keyboard (depending on number of polygons in your imported mesh, it may take a

second and you'll see something 'below' your grey-ish merge tool that's your mesh

as a voxel object)

to reset the camera see pic below (don't think it's hotkey-able yet, but may be wrong)

post-475-1240857664_thumb.png

after you've selected the object you want to 'merge', just hit the 'enter' key on your

keyboard (depending on number of polygons in your imported mesh, it may take a

second and you'll see something 'below' your grey-ish merge tool that's your mesh

as a voxel object)

to reset the camera see pic below (don't think it's hotkey-able yet, but may be wrong)

Hi wailingmonkey,

Thanks for the information about the merge "enter" key steps, but I'm still not having any luck. Maybe something's not setup properly. The camera controls were helpful though. I feel like an idiot, how did you guys figure this stuff out? I'll look through the forums again tomorrow to see if I can find any type of step by step guide for voxel sculpting.

Best,

Erin.

• Advanced Member

Hi ErinN,

I've included a .zip (of an .avi movie) that shows merge in action.

You'll see where I select the mesh (hitting 'Open' button offscreen, sorry),

hover my mouse (with arrow cursor) over the imported geometry, hit 'enter'

key, the cursor changes to pen with alpha (so you know you've just made your

model a voxel object), and then move the 'merge' tool off from the new voxel

object.

Hope it's clear (and I've found sometimes there's a bug that doesn't show your

geometry the first time it's selected and 'opened', so you just have to go back

into the dialog and re-select it).

:)

merge.zip

Hi ErinN,

I've included a .zip (of an .avi movie) that shows merge in action.

You'll see where I select the mesh (hitting 'Open' button offscreen, sorry),

hover my mouse (with arrow cursor) over the imported geometry, hit 'enter'

key, the cursor changes to pen with alpha (so you know you've just made your

model a voxel object), and then move the 'merge' tool off from the new voxel

object.

Hope it's clear (and I've found sometimes there's a bug that doesn't show your

geometry the first time it's selected and 'opened', so you just have to go back

into the dialog and re-select it).

:)

Hi wailingmonkey,

Thank you very much for this, I really appreciate it!

I'll unzip it and take a look. Hopefully this will do the trick. I can barely wait to try sculpting with voxels!

Best,

Erin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Hi wailingmonkey,

Thank you very much for this, I really appreciate it!

I'll unzip it and take a look. Hopefully this will do the trick. I can barely wait to try sculpting with voxels!

Best,

Erin.

If the video does not have audio, I lose interest in it quite quickly....

• 1 month later...