3DCoat Forums

Mesh destroyed when trying auto retopology

karnalta

Hi all,

I'd like to try the auto retopology feature of 3D Coat, so I have exported a mid res mesh from ZBrush, but when I import it into 3D Coat (Import -> Import for auto retopology) the mesh is wrong. Am I missing something ?

Look at the ear of my character on this screenshot :

3dcoat.jpg

I have imported the OBJ file into 3ds max and all is right.

Thank for your help.

• Reputable Contributor

Go to the Voxel Room and use the MERGE tool, or choose MERGE from the FILE menu. From there, just understand that the mesh you merge is essentially treated as a container, which 3D Coat will fill with voxels. If you don't get a good result when you hit ENTER, then UNDO and this time, try clicking the INCREASE RES icon at the bottom of the Vox Tree Panel. That should give you enough voxel resolution to capture all the detail. Once you are happy with that, then you can proceed with the Autopo toolset

• Reputable Contributor

Try clicking the "Make Mesh Closed" button in the Tool Options panel, when merging. If it still gives you problems, Undo and click the Increase Res icon once more. It usually boils down to these two things. Closed mesh and having enough voxel resolution.

As for switching to English....HELP > Languages > English

Thank for your help AbnRanger, but even with a closed mesh and 15 millions poly it doesn't work, if I try to push the poly count higher 3D Coat doesn't respond anymore and nearly freeze the OS. Anyway I don't see any amelioration from 64k poly to 15 millions.

The only thing that seem to give a clear mesh is to check the "Merge without voxelizing" checkbox. But it give me a mesh separated into a lot of children, and when I try to merge down all children the mesh start again to get all buggy.

It's the first day I am trying 3D Coat so maybe I am not doing it the right way to merge all those pieces into one mesh.

• Reputable Contributor

It appears from your last statement that your mesh is separated into sub objects. if this is the case try the below.

Merge as skin. You also try this method if your mesh is one piece

Merge to separate volumes and merge as skin selected. Then you could merge them together but merge the layers to the highest voxel count layer. Maybe be alittle cleanup afterwards.

Even unwelded vertices sharing the same space will cause problems with spikes. Check in your modeling program for unmerged vertices sharing the same space sometimes called duplicated vertices.

Select a voxel tool to get rid of the white proxy object after pressing enter.

With the merge as skin checkbox and a huge amount of resolution I reached to get a clear mesh.

But the problem is that the mesh seem to have a tickness now, certainly due to the fact that my eyes sockets are opened geometries.

Moreover the estimated polycount is over 15 million and it's giving me serious performance issue.

I will go on testing and if I doesn't find any solution I will send my mesh to the staff.

Thank for your help.