3DCoat Forums

UV Mapping outside of 0,1

EduardoMC

• Reputable Contributor

No, it doesn't. Been trying to get Andrew to look into it, but there is already a long list of other things to do. Can't get an Applink for it until this happens though. The way it currently works is that instead of UV tiles, 3D Coat lets you create as many UV sets as you need. I'm not sure how using multiple tiles is more efficient than multiple UV sets. When you export to 3ds Max via the Applink, it will come in as a Multi-Subobject material.

What I do to get the tiling into Mudbox is a bit of a work around, but it may do what you want it to. There is a checkbox in Maya to enable tiling, and you would just need to select the islands that you want to tile, and move them manually. Here is a tutorial for doing the same in Max.

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/multiple_uv_tiles/multiple_uvs_tiles.htm

With all of that said, I find that overall, 3D Coat is actually a better texture painting application. The brush performance is actually outstanding until you start using really large texture maps and really large brush sizes. Mudbox handles those situations better, but 3D Coat's SpacePilot/Navigator/Explorer, fill tool and dockable, live feedback 2D Texture Editor makes it worth staying with it. Just my experience when working with both.

Heya, thanks for your response!

Yep, that's what I figured. I was going to do what you recommended, but I wanted to see if there was an easier way inside of 3DC. Not a deal breaker, just a minor inconvenience. So the method would be to create the UVs as normal in 3DC, export and then just move the islands to other tiles, right?

Thanks again!

• Reputable Contributor

Heya, thanks for your response!

Yep, that's what I figured. I was going to do what you recommended, but I wanted to see if there was an easier way inside of 3DC. Not a deal breaker, just a minor inconvenience. So the method would be to create the UVs as normal in 3DC, export and then just move the islands to other tiles, right?

Thanks again!

Yes, that is correct. But you will need to do that in another Applcation, like Maya, 3ds Max, etc. Then export via FBX. OBJ's do not support tiling...multiple UV sets is fine; but FBX is the only portable format that does. In Max you need to go into the material editor and click on the diffuse (or any others) map and uncheck the (repeating) TILES, as is mentioned in the tutorial I linked to. You don't want Max to repeat the same maps. If you need to bring painted texture maps into Mudbox, instead of starting there, then it requires a bit of a workaround. But if you plan to start afresh in MB, don't worry about that.