3DCoat Forums

How can I fix a hole in my paintroom object?

danmst3k

I've been using this awesome program for a little while now and just love it but I'm still a little foggy on getting from one "room" to the next and what is where and when... if that makes sense. I know the flow from voxel creation to retopo and creating UVs and then sending it to the paint room via one of the 3 methods. My question is what if I start with a polygon model from Lightwave and I want to UV map it in 3DC? I import my lwo object into per pixel paint with auto uvs, I go into the UV room and start to manually lay out some uv seams. Here's the problem, I notice that there are some holes on my object that didn't translate correctly into 3DC (some wacky ngons). What would be the procedure to fix these holes? Is the retopo room my answer?

• Advanced Member

Could you please try this:

Make a new document in 3DCoat, just an empty one.

Go to retopo room and there should be an import button on your left side.

Can I also have a screenshot of your model with the holes in it please?

Thanks Johnny for your quick reply. I attached a jpeg that's shows what I was talking about. This isn't the actual object but it shows the same problem. What you suggested will most likely work. I think I overlooked the fact that there was an import button there. I feel like there should be some basic modeling tools right in the paint room to fix such problems. That would save a lot of steps. Thanks again!

post-7572-0-58531300-1329932030_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Ah I can see the hole, sometime when I merge to per pixel I also have some "holes" in my model.

Most of the times it seems that its not filled with a color, so first of all I try to fill it with the fill tool.

If the hole still appears to be there it might be a flipped normal issue, have you checked for those inside Lightwave?

Some basic modelling tools would be nice indeed, but I think its better to fix your geometry before start to paint.. :)

It may also be a non-planar polygon I would avoid ngons or at least make them have as few points as possible, this is generally a good idea anyway. For example I had some ngons in the model for my last project and they caused a big hassle because they looked fine in Modeler but in Layout they would either render as holes or the edges I was using would not render on them. In a case like this it might look fine in LightWave but incorrect in another program like 3DC.

• 1 year later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I have also many holes, its very bad ... because there are mostly only quads in my both models, why I have extremly holes?! :(

Maybe SILO isnt a good companion...

ProblemSilo3DCoat.jpg it makes me sad :(

Did have anyone an idea? ;)

It looks like your normals are all fudged. Try and import those meshes into the Retopo Room. If they look good there, then it HAS to be an issue with your UV's. Fix any issues with the mesh in the Retopo Room > export it to your project directory > In Paint Room go to the FILE menu > IMPORT > REPLACE GEOMETRY

• Advanced Member

I've been using this awesome program for a little while now and just love it but I'm still a little foggy on getting from one "room" to the next and what is where and when... if that makes sense. I know the flow from voxel creation to retopo and creating UVs and then sending it to the paint room via one of the 3 methods. My question is what if I start with a polygon model from Lightwave and I want to UV map it in 3DC? I import my lwo object into per pixel paint with auto uvs, I go into the UV room and start to manually lay out some uv seams. Here's the problem, I notice that there are some holes on my object that didn't translate correctly into 3DC (some wacky ngons). What would be the procedure to fix these holes? Is the retopo room my answer?

I go through the general workflow, going room to room, in my tutorial:  https://www.udemy.com/introduction-to-3d-coat/?sl=E0IacF9XQ24%3D

This is one of the things that new and advanced users coming to 3D Coat find a bit confusing, at times.  There's so much that the tutorial covers that it's difficult to get it all down in text, here.  Now, I'm not a LightWave user, so it's hard for me to answer specific questions on that, but if you've got nGons coming in, then you can fix them either in the Retopo room or in LW before import.

TIP:  In the Retopo Room, if you go to the Retopo menu and choose Select Faces -> Select N-gons, then it should highlight where your ngons are.

Edited by alvordr