3DCoat Forums

Having to re-register all the time

Hi,

I am running 3DCoat 3.08B on Arch Linux x64.

It has mostly been okay apart from the odd crash here and there, but today I will start 3DCoat and find I am running in demo mode (so I cannot export textures etc), I got prompted a couple of times during the day to register at which point it would work again for a while.

Other times shutting 3DCoat down and relaunching it again after a short period would solve the problem but it is a real pain because I don't notice it immediately and so do some work and come to export the texture to find I can't.

Any one else had a similar problem?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Hello, Andrew! 3D-Coat asks to re-enter serial number when modification time of “/bin” folder has been changed. 3D-Coat links serial number to the computer. The only unique identifier which 3D-Coat can request without requiring administration authentication is modification time of system directory “/bin”. When modification time of folder “/bin” changes then 3D-Coat requires to re-enter serial number (see attached screenshot). So please remember the modification time of “/bin” folder and note does it change?

post-848-0-66928400-1334840340_thumb.jpg

Hello, Andrew! 3D-Coat asks to re-enter serial number when modification time of “/bin” folder has been changed. 3D-Coat links serial number to the computer. The only unique identifier which 3D-Coat can request without requiring administration authentication is modification time of system directory “/bin”. When modification time of folder “/bin” changes then 3D-Coat requires to re-enter serial number (see attached screenshot). So please remember the modification time of “/bin” folder and note does it change?

Hi Sergyi,

Thanks for the explanation, I will make a note of the /bin directory time stamp for if it happens again.

In the email I sent to support yesterday I also asked if there is the crash report option in the Linux version of 3D Coat, this would be useful for when crashes happen.

Thanks,

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...

if there is the crash report option in the Linux version of 3D Coat

The crash report option is available only under Windows. For crash reports 3D-Coat uses FEX library which is based on technology that works only under Windows:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/11132/Walking-the-callstack

In practice crashes under Linux and Mac OS X within 3D-Coat routines strictly correlates with crashes under Windows. If 3D-Coat crashes under Linux and Mac OS X it for sure crashes under Windows. There are problems which are specific to Linux and Mac OS X. As it turned out those problems come from platform specific functions from the engine. Most of the time because of compatibility issues. Such problems are resolved through cooperation with the user who encountered a problem. Platform specific issues usually don’t tend to crash, they tend to function improperly, therefore crash report system doesn’t help anyway in such cases.