3DCoat Forums

Polygroups in 3d coat?

Marcus

I use Zbrush for sculpting and I would like to retopologise in 3d coat. I have a lot of hidden areas in my model so I divided the model into polygroups. When I import the mesh into 3d coat for manual retopology, I see that it's not divided. I've looked through a lot of topics in the forum and saw that it is possible to to dived them. I'll quote what someone said in another topic.

5. If I am correct, you can not hide polygons by "polygon islands" (XSI naming) or polygroups (zbrush naming)? It would be great to be able to.

This is what Andrew said.

You can. Open UV-preview in hide tool and doubleclick on island.

Can some one explain to me step by step on how to do this? I don't understand the 3d coat interface.

• Reputable Contributor

I am not a ZBrush user but have you tried merging without voxelizing (merging menu) directly into surface mode. Surface mode recognizes obj material groups and will create a layer for each group under a main parent layer. They will be separate objects each on it's own layer. I do not know how polygroups are exported from Zbrush in a obj file. Are they exported as material groups?

What Andrew was addressing was just hiding polygons in the retopo room not in the voxel room. I'm sure a Zbrush user will come along shortly to answer you but till then....

• Advanced Member
I use Zbrush for sculpting and I would like to retopologise in 3d coat. I have a lot of hidden areas in my model so I divided the model into polygroups. When I import the mesh into 3d coat for manual retopology, I see that it's not divided. I've looked through a lot of topics in the forum and saw that it is possible to to dived them. I'll quote what someone said in another topic.

5. If I am correct, you can not hide polygons by "polygon islands" (XSI naming) or polygroups (zbrush naming)? It would be great to be able to.

This is what Andrew said.

You can. Open UV-preview in hide tool and doubleclick on island.

Can some one explain to me step by step on how to do this? I don't understand the 3d coat interface.

As far as I'm aware the ability to subdivide relates to the retopology mesh itself once created not the subdivision of the reference mesh.

Polygroups are imported in a reference mesh as named groups within the Objects palette of 3DC's retopo interface. You can show or hide these groups in the Objects palette to help you with your retopo by showing and hiding as required. Note these are not the same as creating retopo groups within separate layers but rather your reference mesh groups.

• 11 years later...
  • Advanced Member
On 5/18/2012 at 4:44 PM, The Candy-floss Kid said:

Merge without voxelizing will allow you to split your polygroups , it imports meshes with groups/polygroups/parts etc as a nested volume.

you can then use these to help you create logical groups in your uv environment - then merge/ join these groups as and when you need.

Sorry to revive an old topic, but where is this 'Merge without voxelizing' option? I did start a Request thread about a similar topic here. At the moment, I have a mesh that's made up of various parts - parts that need to be combined as a whole - and it would require extra work to separate them off as individual Sub-Tools/components. There's just a few areas that are awkward to retopologise due to faces being between narrow cracks and crevices. So if this 'Merge without voxelizing' does exactly what I need, then I'm hoping I can separate all the Polygroups for this mesh and toggle them on/off within the Sculpt Tree or Layer. :)

Thanks