3DCoat Forums
Marc Wakefield

Leap Motion - The future .....

I'm much more convinced by this.

It may not look as fancy but the simple fact that you can actualy rest your hands on something and use that surface to get tactile feedback makes all the difference.

Looks like it makes more sense. Being able to rest your hands/arms is critical.

I'm much more convinced by this.

It may not look as fancy but the simple fact that you can actualy rest your hands on something and use that surface to get tactile feedback makes all the difference.

That looks pretty cool. I may have to consider backing it!

I might wait this time round though and see what others make of it before taking the plunge.

It's really full 3D though, it's like 2.5D like how a Wacom pen can hover above the tablet and still control the mouse.

They have air gestures and eyetracking tech on new samsung phones. Wonder how it translates to desktop applications.

btw the Leap can do what the Haptix does.  (At least what I see in their video) - All you'd need to do is mount it on the top of your laptop like where they mount the Haptix, and then just use 3D  planes of where your keyboard is to be the active surface.  I don't see this as really being "haptic" - when there's a device (like the one disney research has experimented with) which shoots invisible pressure jets of air to your moving fingers to make the invisible seem like it has force/physicality, then that will be truly haptic.  Or when touchscreens on smartphones and tablets physically morph buttons into and out of their surfaces at high speeds, then that will be cool...

btw the Leap can do what the Haptix does.  (At least what I see in their video) - All you'd need to do is mount it on the top of your laptop like where they mount the Haptix, and then just use 3D  planes of where your keyboard is to be the active surface.  I don't see this as really being "haptic" - when there's a device (like the one disney research has experimented with) which shoots invisible pressure jets of air to your moving fingers to make the invisible seem like it has force/physicality, then that will be truly haptic.  Or when touchscreens on smartphones and tablets physically morph buttons into and out of their surfaces at high speeds, then that will be cool...

I'm not sure the leap will really register the contact points, cause that's what really matters here. without resisting surface and tactile feedback it's a gadget.

Besides it's all software but I doubt the leap can register you making gesture vs you using your keyboard :)

As for the disney tech, from the word of a guy I know at Allegorithmic who tried it : "it's crap" :)

Again, useless for sculpting, you don't know where you "hit", and you've got no way to rest your arms and no tactile feedback (the video show it's snapping all the way, no fine control)

May be fun for short gaming sessions but that's it.

Again, useless for sculpting, you don't know where you "hit", and you've got no way to rest your arms and no tactile feedback (the video show it's snapping all the way, no fine control)

May be fun for short gaming sessions but that's it.

I think your right about physical resistance being needed for sculpting. As for Boolean operations and many other CAD procedures I can see this working. Perhaps The Oculus should be married to Sensable's phantom haptic force feedback stylus. I think Geomagic recently bought Sensable.

Isaiah Coberly

It could work with CAD.

Problem is, and that's a real question:

Why bother with less precise tools ? I don't see CAD getting huge benefit from VR immersion, surely in Architectural Visualization, but product design ? 

TIME FOR SUPER NECROOOOOOO

Well, it's 2017 and the LEAP motion software has been upgraded to something called ORION, which makes the tracking a lot more accurate.

But I wouldn't use it for modelling. What I WOULD use it for, is VIEW CONTROL.

Here's my suggestion for how it might work:

With your dominant hand, you hold your stylus/mouse over your model which is telling 3Dcoat (via a hitscan) where the "grasp point" is.

Then with your off-hand, you make a "pinch" or a "closed fist" gesture to grasp the object.

Once the object has been grasped, move and rotate your hand to revolve and move the view around the grasp point in the same manner that you might use a 3D mouse (like the 3dconnexion space navigators that 3D-coat supports)

Except that instead of acting like a joystick that smoothly moves you at a rate based on how hard you push the controller, it acts as though you're floating in zero-gravity and have grabbed an anchor point in space with your hand.

So when you move your hand, your hand doesn't move, but the rest of you does.