3DCoat Forums

Software to light baking ..?

Lahoreh

Hi,

What software do you suggest to light baking? Light baking from 3DCoat could be enough for me but there no way to do that yet ;-)

So I'm looking to a software that could do that and without to be too expensive... (Maya is far away too expensive for me..)

I read Blender is able to do that but I find the interface really disturbing...

Carrara seems to have a basic baking tool but i don't know if the plugin is able to handle light baking..?

I also read some good things about Modo and Lightwave but I'm not sure to spent so much for a hobby..

Do you know other alternative..?

Thanks!

• Advanced Member
What software do you suggest to light baking? Light baking from 3DCoat could be enough for me but there no way to do that yet ;-)

So I'm looking to a software that could do that and without to be too expensive... (Maya is far away too expensive for me..)

I read Blender is able to do that but I find the interface really disturbing...

Carrara seems to have a basic baking tool but i don't know if the plugin is able to handle light baking..?

I also read some good things about Modo and Lightwave but I'm not sure to spent so much for a hobby..

Do you know other alternative..?

Hi Lahoreh,

I have Maya, Modo and LW, and I would recommend LW out of the ones you listed. Best value for your money imho.

Light Baking is not really a small feature in that the quality of your baking will be affected directly by a) the quality of lighting of your 3d app, and B) the quality of render of your 3D app. As such I suspect that any cheaper or free light baking would be imperfect at best and just inaccurate/ugly/noisy at worst.

I have heard very good things about Blender from those who have taken the time to master the UI, but I cannot recommend it personally as I have never used it. Same goes for Carrara, I know people who use it but I haven't used it since it was Ray Dream Studio 5 and have no idea about its baking ability.

Happy Modeling

-Oliver

• Reputable Contributor

Here is a free program. I'm not sure if it will meet your needs but least it's worth alook see. I have Carrara but really have not used the baking feature that much so will check it out and let ya know how it works.

http://www.awingsoft.com/LightMapMaker/lightmapmaker.htm

What kind of problems do you have?

No real problem I just want to include lights in the textures.. So basically I want to create and work about the texture in 3DC and maybe to export to another tool to bake light?

Thanks all for your answers, I will chek that carefully :)

• Advanced Member
No real problem I just want to include lights in the textures..

You can do it with 3D-Coat today's toolset. Of course you cant excpect toolset in the same scale as maya's or max's one, but it is not bad at all. When playing with AO layer and blend it in different ways with others in 3DC you can get pretty interesting look for your textures

• Advanced Member

The thing with doing it with 3d-coat is ok most of the time. However, for example, in a coffee cup, it is not ideal (in the part of the cylinder that matches the "ear"), as it is not a real occlusion, but more a pseudo-GI solution.