3DCoat Forums

3D Coat not working on our machines since 3.7 Update :(

Hi there everyone! :)

We've been happily using 3dCoat 3.5 for a while, but have just got round to updating, and now it doesn't work.

I'll try and explain what happens, and what i've tried to fix it:

Firstly my config is as follows:

3DCoat 3.7 01B

HP Z800 Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz (x2)

16GB RAM

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

Quadro 5000 2.5GB Drivers: 275.89

The issue:

If I load 3DCoat it just has menus all over the place, and the UI flickers... I can rotate stuff, but it's VEEEERY VEEERY slow. I can't click on menus, and can't access/open anything.

What I've tried:

I've tried both the CUDA and non-CUDA versions, and nothing works. They all do the same thing. Colleagues still running 3.5 have no issues at all.

What I'm trying to ascertain is, could this be a permissions thing? Or do I need to give the latest Nvidia drivers a try, or the latest 3DCoat build a go too? (Although have tried a few 3.5 updates that have done the same in the past, so rolled back) I've tried running as administrator and still get the same problems, so don't think it can be, but our IT admin do lock some weird folder locations down, so maybe there is somewhere 3dCoat is trying to write that it can't access?

If there is any more info needed, please shout, and I'll get right on it!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Javis...

apologies for the late response, I wasn't notified by the forum when you had responded. :)

I'm not fussed about my configs right now... but where on earth are they? I've had a good look through 'my profile', app data folder. In fact I've been through every user folder, and can't find it. Where does it hide? :)

Okay... they were hiding on a separate drive (our systems have a separate san for our profiles)... I searched everywhere locally, but it was in the profile drive.

Aaaanyway, I tried deleting them, and it made no difference at all. Has no one here had any issues like this? Is there any way I can see if 3d Coat is trying to write to a directory it's not allowed to etc? It's rather annoying! :(

Thanks for helping!

Hi,

we are using your software in 3 workstations. They are all the same except for the VGAs. Two are using Geforce GTX460 cards and the third one uses a Quadro FX 4600. We only have this problem on the one with the Quadro. We are using the latest Nvidia performance drivers for this card. Even simple models cause 3d Coat to stop responding. Please help us, we're under tight deadlines.

BUILD: Latest 3.7 build (downloaded today). Tried with CUDA and Simple versions. Tried OpenGL and DirectX version as well.

HARDWARE: Dell Precision T7500, Dual Quad Core Xeon, 16GB RAM, Quadro FX4600

BUG DESCRIPTION: 3d Coat stops responding when importing an object

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

File - Import model for pixel painting

Initial Subdivision - we always select the third value on the dropdown

UV mapping type- Keep UV

UV set smoothing- Full UV set smoothing

Texture Width - 8192

Texture Height - 8192

Thank you very much in advance.

Paulo Silva

Right... I've installed 3.7.13, and this one is giving me an actual error on load.

It's saying:

"File Write Error

Shaders/Custom/ver.txt"

I honestly don't know why our IT bods have blocked writing to the program folder, but they must have. No errors in the firewall logs or anything, and even if I run 3D Coat as admin (which in theory should enable it to write anywhere) I still get the error... weird!

Any ideas? :)

A bit more info here:

I have checked the log.txt file and there are errors strewn everywhere!

It begins pretty depressingly by saying

"Loading Xml file "Xmls/Settings.xml"...

Can't load file "Xmls/Settings.xml"

...and goes on by failing to load most of the files and save most of them too. Some of them manage to save, but most don't. Also it has issues loading fonts, some images and most .xml's.

I hope this helps resolve this in some way. My colleague is running 3.5 absolutely fine, so it is something that has changed since that release.

Just as a note, we do have our profiles as roaming, they are on a network drive, and 3d Coat points to this place to store its user settings. I was wondering if it could be this that's causing issues?

3D Coat is trying to save to the UNC path which begins \\sanfiles#\dfshome\username\data\3D-Coatv3\etc etc

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

Tim

Unfortunately not... we have no control over disks etc.

Also, no one can run without a roaming profile. It's weird because it all worked in 3.5 :( and still does if I re-install it. Veeeery weird!

3D Coat is installed locally, but it's just going to our profile space network drive to do the preferences. Oddly, 3D Coat is the only piece of software we've had any issue with. Everything else works fine

Tried this shortcut method before and despite IT saying it should work, it doesn't.

Just tried it again, and it doesn't make any difference.

Have spoken to IT and they say I've got write access to everywhere, so it shouldn't be a problem. We CANNOT disable UAC though, but I CAN run as admin by right-clicking and running as admin... but it still does the same. This effectively escalates our permissions to full admin rights, so we should be able to run anything we want.

There is something extremely fishy going on here... any other thoughts from Andrew? Like I've said, this was never an issue with 3.5 release, until some of the betas, and it's been the same ever since. :(

sorry im asking that

Do you deleted all the entire Documents/3D-CoatV3 folder before installing new version ?

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8887&view=findpost&p=76184

---------------

Anyway... New try:

MAP NETWORK DRIVE

add folder

\\sanfiles#\dfshome\username\data

like DRIVE Z -or any letter-

and reinstall 3dcoat in Z:

gl ;)

This is quotation from documentation:

Separating changed data from installed files to share data between users

Other possibility (optional, just for convenience) is to separate 3D-Coat’s installed files and files that was changed during the work so that you may place 3D-Coat installation files to protected or read-only location. Install 3D-Coat to any location (even protected or user-dependent). After that you should create file coat_data_path.txt in the same folder as executables or define environment variable COAT_FILES_PATH

that will point to the location of changed data files. Path should be ended with slash “/” . License file should be placed in the same folder as all data files. In this case all changed files wil be written to new location but if installation location is read only you will not be able to delete any folders or files (like initial brushes, materials, strips, models) of initial installation inside 3D-Coat’s shell. If you will not create file coat_data_path.txt or define variable COAT_FILES_PATH then 3D-Coat will use 3D-CoatV3 folder in User’s folder under any OS.

In so way you may tell 3D-Coat tou use some safe folder as folder for written files. Try to point on some 100% accessible place.

• Like 1

Good advice! :) That has worked like a charm. I knew the IT guys weren't telling me the truth about the path 3dCoat was trying to write to... it clearly wasn't writable.

Anyway, this is a perfect workaround... thanks very much for your help!

Tim