3DCoat Forums

start with a base mesh, or sculpt all the way...

Milo

I am inexperienced in both 3d-coat and poly modeling with like hexagon. I want to attempt to do some modelling of a character I have. Its a BiPedal figure. I seem to be going back and forth in my head. Not that I want a heated discussion of this way is better that way is. But if you were starting out would you attempt to do a poly version then into 3d-coat? Or just go all 3d-coat. Then of course comes all the retopo - painting etc. Ultimately I will be taking the Model back into Carara. Any other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. I also ask this because my daughter got some positive feedback on her art, and they told her to do more digital, and esp learn 3d :D I am sure she is going to be asking me the same question (or not she will take the immersian approach and I over think things)

I also currently still have an AMD/ATI 5770 (I am saving my nickles for a Nvidia 670). If this makes any difference.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

If u are under time pressure then u should consider doin it mainly in 3dcoat so u don`t need to switch that often back and fourth but if u are not then it would be wise

to block out a basic shape for ur model and refine/ add detail in 3dcoat.

To speak in general its good to know poly modelling aswell anyways there is no wrong way todo it in this case or any

From personal experience its good to train ur poly modelling skills along sculpting as they both are combined at the end in the retopo stage of your model

what i don`t understand is do u have a character already? or is it just a blueprint in ur mind "...modelling of a character I have"

• Reputable Contributor

I have hexagon as well. nice modelling application, very artist friendly...

Both ways work but one advantage of starting from a base mesh is that you already have a good starting point and you learn both polygon modeling and 3DCoat sculpting...

Main thing is to have fun learning.

One tip for 3DCoat is keep your base form in the lower voxel count range. You should be able to get good basic form on most organic models at no more than 1 milllion voxels...

Increase voxel resolution only has you increase detail...

The picture shows just a quick 15 minute voxel model. 110,000 voxels only... Now it's not very accurate at this point but being so low in voxel count I can quickly adjust the anatomy and once I am happy then increase the voxel count... This model started from the default 14,000 voxel sphere...

post-518-0-96526300-1340995374_thumb.png

If u are under time pressure then u should consider doin it mainly in 3dcoat so u don`t need to switch that often back and fourth but if u are not then it would be wise

to block out a basic shape for ur model and refine/ add detail in 3dcoat.

To speak in general its good to know poly modelling aswell anyways there is no wrong way todo it in this case or any

From personal experience its good to train ur poly modelling skills along sculpting as they both are combined at the end in the retopo stage of your model

what i don`t understand is do u have a character already? or is it just a blueprint in ur mind "...modelling of a character I have"

First thank you for your input, that makes sense. No time constraint as this is for me personally.

Its a blueprint/reference drawing Front / Side view.

I have hexagon as well. nice modelling application, very artist friendly...

Both ways work but one advantage of starting from a base mesh is that you already have a good starting point and you learn both polygon modeling and 3DCoat sculpting...

Main thing is to have fun learning.

One tip for 3DCoat is keep your base form in the lower voxel count range. You should be able to get good basic form on most organic models at no more than 1 milllion voxels...

Increase voxel resolution only has you increase detail...

The picture shows just a quick 15 minute voxel model. 110,000 voxels only... Now it's not very accurate at this point but being so low in voxel count I can quickly adjust the anatomy and once I am happy then increase the voxel count... This model started from the default 14,000 voxel sphere...

Thanks for your reply. Thats something good to keep in mind!

Chuckles I keep hearing that have fun learning. I over think things and become a stressed out mess, but working on perservering.

Thanks again

• Advanced Member

Take a look at my blog,the link is in my signature at the bottom of this post ( I hope), I did a process walk thru about a year ago ( Zombie Cowboy Walkthrough). I didnt have 3DCoat then, I was using Sculptris on this occasion but I suppose substituting 3DCoat would basicly be the same.

Hi Milo

I would say that if size and dimentions matter to you, and u use a lot of objects to add into a scene on a different package, then go for the a base poly version and start from there. it gives a bit of control over size.

Secondly if are doing serious animation a lower proxy version is always good idea to have in hand