3D Coat Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Innovine

Confused about uv's

Thanks, but why, when I apparently do it manually in the Retopo room, and then again in the UV room?
  3. Today
  4. The_Mikeman

Confused about uv's

3d Coat does its auto-mapping. https://3dcoat.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2017_03/KeepUV.jpg.14cc16f9cb7f1e0afe7515e582f2ff07.jpg
  5. yes unfortunately i found out after spending days making those models lol, as you can probably tell from my original post i was pretty frustrated about it. 3d coats amazing (though having a lot of annoying bugs atm ) still love the program, its amazing
  6. Innovine

Hard surface retopo help

Ahh, got you, I thought you only needed to tile on the horizontal plane. Sounds like 3d coat isn't the right tool for this job then.
  7. yes i get what you are saying, but ill clarify, every edge has to be exact to the the edge, even the cuts and indents because they will need to line up with the next pieces cuts and indents the same so if i push any edge or part ive cut out around, that wont be the case any longer since it doesnt snap to exact edges. pushing points around isnt exact so unless im missing something youre saying, it wont be the result i need. im not sure if you saw the original picture i posted with the multiple pieces. the other issue is, if i auto retopo without decimation its way too high poly, i want a peice of mesh that is perhaps 20 faces max, which is easy to do in maya in a longer more boring way because its not clay modelling. if that makes sense. also to get a perfect square cube id have to have 50 million resolution or something and having that many pieces at once, my pc cant handle that , i mean i have 32 gigs but its not going to handle it. as carlosan said, 3d coat cant do this particulat thing, its great for most things but not this kind of exact hardmodelling
  8. yoohasz

Blender Applink

I can confirm this, I would very much like to use the applink, and I get the exact same result as @Mikey1018 unfortunately. Both on the official 2.80 release, and on the daily builds of yesterday too. Oh, okay I see @haikalle is moving at the moment. Patience will solve this problem :). Until then I'm goin manual I guess. Thanks in advance when this is solved.
  9. Innovine

Hard surface retopo help

Push the middle points around a bit, leave the 8 points of the flattened cube on the corners, of course. That's the point? Let me try and clarify... create the retopo first, from a primitive. Then when you go to sculpt room and import, it exactly fills the retopo mesh (to the limits of the layer resolution, which you can crank up a bit). You now have a flattened, perfect cube in retopo room, and the same shape in sculpt (with slightly rounded edges). Now if you route out some areas in sculpt, when you go back to retopo you can subdivide the cube and move the inner points to match the routed areas. Just using the Split Rings tool will snap to the surface and you get nice alignments very easily. The edges of the cube will still be perfectly in place, and will still tile seamlessly. You don't move those. If you need to, you can subdivide the edges and use the transform tool to move them up and down. It's probably not 3dcoats strong point, but I don't see offhand why this wouldn't work. Might even be an advantage to model the tiles in blender, and extrude the faces, then import those as both retopo and sculpt objects, and add small normal map details to the sculpt, and bake, I've been experimenting with this direction.
  10. Even if i were to, the act of pushing the points around a bit makes it out of alignment. it doesnt snap to the exact edge of anything, meaning if i have two parts of path for example that will be butting up against each other in another platform, the mesh has to be exact or it will stand out very clearly when its put together, the mesh i am trying to retopo still has a rounded edge to it even at extremely high resolution so when i do the retopo by decimation which is the only viable way ive found to do it, it calculates the rounded part too and i end up with a mess. I have put it aside as i wasted too many days trying to find away to do it. ill have to make it in another program then import it to 3dcoat to uv and paint but it will be another time, im new to 3d coat also so i appreciate you suggestion i may give it a try anyway. thanks
  11. Innovine

Hard surface retopo help

I'm fairly new to 3d coat so forgive if I'm off here.. but have you tried creating a flattened cube in the retopo room from its cube primitive FIRST, then going to the sculpt room and importing the retopo object to the sculpt room? This'll give you the exact right dimensions, and your retopo object now matches the sculpt object exactly. You can then do some cuts with limited depth, and go back to the retopo room and either bake the high poly detail into the normals, or you can use split ring tool to subdivide the retopo object, select individual faces and transform them, and generally push the points around a bit?
  12. Innovine

Confused about uv's

I am trying to retopo a sculpt which is made of several individual parts, into several retopo objects, and export everything using the same UV set. The individual parts are important as they get animated in my game engine later. It's kind of working for me, but I am not really sure what I'm doing, and there's certainly some things I can improve upon... Here's what I'm doing: I sculpt the objects first. This is fine. I have them set up one object per layer. Next I go to retopo room, and create one layer for each object, with the same sames. I hide everything, then show one sculpt object, and the matching retopo object, and I do the retopo. I would like to do different sized baking cages for the objects, so I now bake this object. I proceed to hide these, and repeat for the next object, baking again with a new cage. Question 1: my understanding of baking is that it creates 2d textures with the high poly info, but since I haven't done a UV mapping yet, what's going on? Is the bake info stored in an invisible 2d texture somewhere? When I have baked the objects, I add seams, and Unwrap and Pack. I also do Unify UVs. When I switch to the UV room, I can see there are still multiple UV sets.. WHat is the point of these when I just dealt with UVs? Question 2: What and why exactly did I just unwrap and pack in Retopo room, since the paint room/uv room seem to have their own independent UVs? In the UV room I now do Unify, delete the unused UVs, unwrap, and pack. Now I go to the Paint room. I use the Fill tool and click each object to paint them a different color (material ID for substance). I hide the normal map, and merge visible, to produce the material ID map, which I then export, then re-enable the normal map and export that. Question 3: Why is there a Surface Material per object, but named "Default", "Default1", "Default2"... ie, after the unused and deleted UV sets? Wouldn't it make sense to use the retopo names? Are these multiple surface materials due to me baking multiple times? Question 4: Can someone please explain the architecture of what's happening here? It looks like there are 3 entirely separated groups of UV sets, one group for the bake, one for the retopo room, and one for the paint room. Why? What is the intended workflow here? Am I missing something obvious? This whole thing seems very clicky-clicky and repeative, with multiple versions of things which is not well explained, so I'd welcome some suggestions on which steps I might be able to eliminate or avoid! Thanks!
  13. And for me there is nothing in the world that gives me more pleasure than working in 3D Coat with a powerful rig. I just love it. I love just messing around. I've really missed it every day of those two years.
  14. AbnRanger

3D coat just refuses to respond many a time

It doesn't matter what you originally created it with. From that GIF (we cannot see the polycount because it's too grainy/low res), it looks like a lot of LiveClay brushing was done, and that there is some self-intersections going on. Test on a new scene in order to determine if the mesh is the source of the problem. If it's still acting up, email support@3DCoat and send the work file through the HELP menu, so Andrew can take a look at it.
  15. Hi there i mentioned this after a few hours of the new release and someone said it was a "new feature" now I cant imagine any work flow where this is an actual help so, can someone tell me how i can disable this, or when this is going to be reversed, its really really a problem for me. I did see a mention somewhere that it was indeed a bug but i cannot find the thread again and i dont have a lot of time to look. so please dont jump on me for starting anew topic, i just want to know when this will be dealt with. i just got the update yesterday and its still doing it.
  16. Yesterday
  17. ButtonsTheMonkey

Rick WIP

I kind of figured a way to make his lab coat, probably not the best way but looks good enough! Here's the final render.
  18. Mihu83

Colormunki Display calibration...

Thanks for advice, but I don't use night mode.
  19. Last week
  20. L'Ancien Regime

Check your night mode
  21. AbnRanger

Brush Enguine problems getting too much

Oh, I see. He's doing a complete rewrite, it seems.
  22. BeatKitano

I couldn't say I'm on linux ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  23. Mihu83

Well, I still get this warm, yellowish tint... maybe I need to get used to warmer look, as previously both displays were quite cold in terms of colour.
  24. As i remember, multirres is completely broken. It requires a pretty big change in how store and calculate multiresolution levels that is not so much a bugfix but likely more of a partial rewrite of the system. Which is why pablo is making a new data system from scratch. source
  25. You're correct, seems he found a way to keep both methods. Not complaining
  26. AbnRanger

Didn't they just mention that the problems mentioned early in the thread, got fixed?
  27. BeatKitano

This has always has been an issue as far as I can remember, maybe things got worse but that's one of the reason I stopped using 3dc to sculpt.
  28. stusutcliffe

What would be your dream Applink

This is how I work most of the time. I save the scene as an FBX ( Blender does not appear to have vertex colours on OBJs) Import into Blender , then I have to "activate" the colours with an attribute node . Its pretty straight forward. ( once I figured it out,that was the hard bit!) but can be time consuming If I need different levels of spec for each part. It would be great just to send the scene there with all the correct nodes in place.
  1. Load more activity