3DCoat Forums

Apply existing textures to a new model

blade33ru

Go to solution Solved by blade33ru,

• Advanced Member

I have a model exported form retopo at low res which i have fully textured with 20 layers or so. Now i have another paint object, the same model with same UVs exported with extra subdivisions into the painr room.  

How can i get it to pick up the textures which already exist.  trip importing and exporting textures but seems to apply to the original model.

i delete original model and still no love.

help!

• Reputable Contributor

I would say use the texture baking tool in the paint room but it as not been updated to the new PBR standard as of yet...

Normally you would bake the textures from the low polygon with textures to your extra subdivision model using the texture baking tool in the paint room.

Most of time it is other way around, In the paint room you would bake (Texture Baking Tool) from the high to the low but in your case you added extra subdivision and now need the textures from the low baked to the high...

I add a will a link to this thread at the beta forum again asking to update the Texture baking tool to PBR standards.

Edited by digman

Try to bake using Retopo -> Bake with NM (don't use texture baking tool), it should work for this purpose.

You just need to hide all voxel objects and remain only paint objects. Voxel objects have bigger priory over paint objects.

Texture baking tool is too old and much less controllable.

• Reputable Contributor

Try to bake using Retopo -> Bake with NM (don't use texture baking tool), it should work for this purpose.

You just need to hide all voxel objects and remain only paint objects. Voxel objects have bigger priory over paint objects.

Texture baking tool is too old and much less controllable.

Older yes but with a little loving tender care it could be most useful :) ... 

• Like 1

• Contributor

Done it with both ways several times and both ways work great.

I must agree though that texture baking indeed needs little loving tender as my good friend David said.