3DCoat Forums

Smart Material scaling and adjustments.

McGyver

Hello, I was wondering if someone can clear this up for me... I was tinkering with making my own materials and couldn't find anything that definitively explained what the various symbols in the brush components widget (if that's the correct name) meant...
I believe I figured them out, but I'm not 100% sure if the yellow triangles are moving the texture around on the surface/map/model or if they are just moving the widget... I tried with a couple of textures, but it's kinda hard to tell.
I made a key (see below) for myself, and I was just wondering if this is correct or if I'm missing the point.

a2cc335dd293138c5bd7c72f7a3128.jpg

Also, one other question... When I'm scaling a texture, I can see the light blue/cyan numeric data being displayed as I'm adjusting it, but I'm wondering if there is a way of inputting the numbers, as opposed to dragging back and forth until I get more or less close enough.
Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I couldn't find the info I was looking for, I Googled a bunch of variations of the question (I'm not even sure what the widget is called), but none explained this and I actually only found the widget by accident.
Anyway, thank you in advance for your input and suggestions.

Edited by McGyver

Yes, that is helpful, but that's actually the place where I got the image of the gizmo that I added the notes to... That was actually the most useful info I found, and that does not mention what the gizmo's controls actually control, as it just says you can use the gizmo to scale, rotate and move textures/stencils, but not how... But it's not a big deal, I guess what I labeled up there seems to be correct, I was testing out the painting feature today and that seems to be more or less correct... I guess what was confusing me is that when scaling a texture you have to drag and maintain a straight direction or the scaling goes up and down... Maybe the feature is intended for a tablet or people who know how to move a mouse straight after having a few beers? You probably are not supposed to drink and texture...

I guess there is no sort of input method for more precise scaling? Too bad, that would be a great help, but maybe not to most people... Oh well.

Thanks carlosan!

Edited by McGyver

• 1 year later...

I don't see this stuff when I see the Preview Options window -- no little yellow marks anywhere, although I see all the other options.  And right clicking on any of the rotate, move or scale things doesn't do anything.  Is something broken with my 3D Coat (I think I have the latest version)?  How do I get these options?

Transform Gizmo

Brush Components - Transform Gizmo

Allows you to transform the Smart Materials or Stencil, by moving, rotating and scaling. You can also squash/stretch.

There is also a more visual Transform Gizmo that works directly in the 3D  Viewport. When activating either a Material or  Stencil (and the 2D Grid), a yellow circle appears in the center of the Smart Materials or Stencil.

RMB Clicking the yellow circle will bring up more control icons for the Transform gizmo.

You can move, rotate and scale directly from this gizmo in a more intuitive way, and also align the center of your gizmo for more advanced painting and sculpting techniques.

Yeah, I know all about the theory -- I just don't see it in practice (and the icons don't work for me).

However, by installing the latest and greatest (and changing to a GL format -- for some reason I've only had the DX version) I was at least able to finally scale by shifting and using the RMB.  So even though I never see the icons I can at least make things work well enough for me (would have been nice to see them, though).

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

My gizmo seems to appear disappear fairly randomly and I can't figure out how to get it back when it's gone... any ideas?

Also sometimes the preview option panel controls just don't do anything...

Not sure if the mac version is less tested than the windows one, but I have so many little random intermittent problems I find it quite frustrating, and I don't usually have time to test and put together bug reports... Makes learning quite tricky :(