3DCoat Forums

Grid like normals shown on bake.

Gary Dave

• Advanced Member

Hey, just doing some test bakes and ran into something a bit strange. I'm getting these square grids and other strange bake artefacts, they are in the normal map layer for sure, but don't appear to actually exist in the normal map itself. Here's the first example:

6CLOyUS.jpg

Ignore the shoddy AA issues of the indented circle, it makes it look low res but it's actually just a bad bake as there's no supporting geometry for sharp angles, this is largely what I'm testing. 

But, as you can see, there's some grid like information being baked, and here's the normal map zoomed in: 

VSn7YmC.jpg

Maybe there is something faint going on? but it looks clean to me. And here's another example, where instead of a grid, it's like some wavey weirdness, looks like water damage or something.

zOEPf5C.jpg

Anyone have any ideas? The unwrap is good, the resolution is good. I have some things to fix in regards to the sharp angle bake causing AA issues... but I don't see how that can be related? The areas of these grid and wavey artefacts are clearly on pretty straight and smooth geometry.

Edited by Gary Dave