3DCoat Forums
    • In this blog I'll discuss 3D characters in their sculpted, high poly or voxelized form as ‘most’ Text to 3D AI Gen meshes, consist of this high poly density when generated, complete with texture. https://www.draw-it.co.uk/blog/sculpt-and-ai-vertex-paint# 
    • I cant replicate, what set do you use ? If it is a custom model (not default one) please share it to take a look.
    • It could be either...or even by attributes like UDIM number per uv island you can apply beforehand. Also, your method of mesh replacement in 3dCoat worked.  Thank you so very much. You saved me a bunch of time. I did not know about  this method.
    • Yes, udims management looks friendly. Some love into 3DC can help no doubt. In each UVtile do you separate udim by objects or by materials ?
    • Thanks Carlosan, I will try your suggestion.
    • Here is an example of Doing UDIMs in Houdini. This model has a single uv set. Apply the UVLayout tool and move them to the next.   UDIMs_Houdini.mp4
    • Hope this help, source How to non destructively re-import a different UV layout for your mesh without your texturing breaking 3DC project layer paints & materials onto the model to be able to re-project in case of UV layout changes.  Do you have a painted mesh… …but need to replace the geometry because UV layout changes ? Follow this steps: – Switch to Retopo Room and Import external mesh – Bake object for pixel painting – Switch back to Paint room, now you can see 2 UV layouts with old textures projected into the new mesh – Delete the old mesh and continue working
    • Carlosan. It was more of a rant.  I have cooled down and will explain a bit better. UDIMs in general is super neglected in 3dCoat. We use them in Houdini, blender and Maya. In general, it will be great to see some development to streamline the workflow more. I generally generate uv's in 3dCoat, but since we use UDIMs so much, I moved that over to Houdini. It is super simple to split and distribute parts over a selected amount of UDIMs that we can input. This happens live in the uv editor. My current problem is baking. Someone changed the uv's (3 uv tiles) on a model with painted textures that I am working on. Now I have 8 uv tiles on the model. Some minor topology changes also happened, but the overall shape did not change. I want to bake the textures from the first model, to the new model with more uv tiles. Simple baking, but the Texture bake tool does not support UV sets or tiles.  It's so old and yet a bread and butter tool for so many fixes. I am now baking it in Houdini, but would like to keep working in 3dCoat as it gives so much control over the maps and painting fixes. There might be workarounds, but this could be so simple if we had an proper Texture bake tool.  
    • Hi Just tested the latest update 2024.20 - Its says the Surface to Mesh Bug is fixed, but i get the same instability warning and instant crash. I've attached the 3DC file sirf.3b sirf.3b
    • Hi I am trying to follow your request to give a better answer. So you have a model with uvs and textures, and need to create udims... or have a model with udims and need to paint and bake... Sorry I cant understand the steps you referred on.
    • Hello People! Long time no see. Im still having trouble with PPP Mode painting. There is this Border created over Triangles. But It is a pure quad mesh. All the best! PS: I found only solution, with subdivision, catmull on, and hard edges set manually. That makes it go away.
    • Oh this is confusing sorry. -Yes, Open in External App part is working!  But the "export to" works a little different. It should: 1.ask for a filename, 2.popup in Blender. But it doesn't.
    • I really want to use 3dCoat for our series and film productions, but I always feel like Pilgway only cares about game development. UDIMs are widely used in the industry and this is where the problem comes in. Here are a couple of scenarios that should work, but don't. 1. Creating UDIMs in 3dCoat is a paint in the neck. So easy easy to set up in other DCC's.  It feels like UDIMs or tiles are a hack in 3dCoat. You have very little control, and can't view all your UDIMs at the same time as 3dCoat only works with the first tile. We love the retopo and uv tools in 3dCoat, but have to go elsewhere to set this up. 2.  Probably the most important. The Texture bake tool is out of date and can't bake to UDIMs. It's so old that it still only bakes Glossiness and not Roughness for PBR.  This tool used to be a saving grace when higher ups changed uv's during the modeling sculpting phase but wants to keep textures as a starting point.  Now I have to save out 5 different models for each of my 5 UV tiles. Each with it's uv's moved one spot over (in another app) to line up with the first tile. Then I can bake each tile in it's own scene. This is ridicules. I have to do this for all channels manually.  When can we get a proper baker that just works from one mesh to any other mesh? 3. Workaround that also does not work anymore.   Importing a mesh into the paint room with all of it's textures does not bake the textures to the sculpt room. Normals and Displacement works, but no color. This would have been great, as I could get the model into the sculpt room with all of it's color info baked into verts (poly paint). If the model was high enough res, I could load a new mesh with updated UDIMs into the retopo room, and bake the color info back onto the model to the paint room. Here I want to keep the textures, and just change the UDIM tiles to get higher res. When can we see some serious thought and development for UDIMs in 3dCoat?  Not everybody works in game development.  
    • Before had send the mesh from Blender23DC... to get Getback applink working, you need to use this command first  -not Export to- and then GetBack
    • Hi. The script was for when the button " Export To" is missing. The Script works, the Button is there, it exports. The Auto-reception in Blender does not work! Maybe someone from the staff could give some hint.   All the best!
    • Thanks for your response. This is strange. I can't brush with any color at the moment so it's not just eraser, it's everything... No clue what I managed to break and how to fix it. No idea where to even begin...