3DCoat Forums

Newbie Texture PBR paintin questions

Hi, I just got 3D Coat today. I bought it to paint a project I'm working on. I have a few questions that will help me finish the project.

First odd thing I noticed is that it adds a few layers on it's own when I import an OBJ. One layer is named the same as the file I imported and then there is a Layer 0 and Layer 1. Is this just normal procedure?

When I right click a PBR material and choose "fill whole layer" to get a base material to work off of it works fine, but I cannot paint any kind of different color on any new layers unless I click "fill whole layer" or "refill material" first. Is that just the way it is or am I doing something wrong? It's weird because I can paint different glossiness, roughness, and metalness values just fine on a new layer, it's just color that doesn't work. Bug?

Layer 0 is default gray colour uv applied model on import and layer 1 is ready for painting which you would normally rename to something more appropriate. I don't get a layer named after my imported model but could be something different in the way your 3d application export to obj.

When I right click a PBR material and choose "fill whole layer" to get a base material to work off of it works fine, but I cannot paint any kind of different color on any new layers unless I click "fill whole layer" or "refill material" first. 

It works fine for me. After filling the whole layer did you hit the close button in the smart materials palette to deselect the smart material ? Otherwise when you paint it is just painting the same smart material that was used to fill the whole layer.

Also make sure the little green ball in the top centre of your screen doesn't have a cross through it. That is the color channel. If it has the cross then click on it to activate. Sorry if I am describing obvious things but you did say newbie in your question.

Edited by kevjon

Layer 0 is default gray colour uv applied model on import and layer 1 is ready for painting which you would normally rename to something more appropriate. I don't get a layer named after my imported model but could be something different in the way your 3d application export to obj.

It works fine for me. After filling the whole layer did you hit the close button in the smart materials palette to deselect the smart material ? Otherwise when you paint it is just painting the same smart material that was used to fill the whole layer.

Also make sure the little green ball in the top centre of your screen doesn't have a cross through it. That is the color channel. If it has the cross then click on it to activate. Sorry if I am describing obvious things but you did say newbie in your question.

I did try all of that actually and I have the same paint issues. I'm using the CUDA x64 version. Perhaps there is something wrong with that version. I'll try the regular 64bit version and see what happens.