3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Best way to fix Autopo mirror symmetry line issue?

David O'Neil

Thought I'd finished Retopology stage of my project.  Brought UV and normal map to another program to create animation.  Found that there was a line along the symmetry plane where the material/painting was breaking sharply, and one side reflected whereas the other side didn't (and vice versa).

Pounding head into wall for all newbies to this program, found that at least part of the issue is when 3D Coat Autopos, it appears that it does not use the points at the symmetry line to create the mesh from, but the two points adjacent to the symmetry line.

I can disable symmetry, then go through the entire mesh and delete all the points/faces along the center, then add points at the center, then place faces on each side, but is there a better way???  Am I missing something again???  This is a heck of a 'gotcha' to find out after a considerable amount of work.

Thanks,

David

mirrorIssue1.png

mirrorIssue2.png

sideViewShowingNoseRidge.png

Please disregard this thread.  It is true that the mirror line is not accurately reflected in the UV map, as shown.  I was treating the normals incorrectly in the other program.  As I've deleted the terribly wonky version outlined above, and corrected the issue in the current file, I don't know if the normals in the wonky version would have compensated correctly.  It may be an issue, and if so I'll repost to this when I come across it again.

Edited by David O'Neil