3DCoat Forums

Curves vs Curves for draw with curves (splines)

Posted (edited)

First of all I have to write that I am a complete beginner in 3DCoat, I am just getting acquainted but I already liked the software and bought it. 

I am a bit confused why different curves are named the same and cannot be used together.

I would like to use the "cut slice with transform to curves" tool. So for example to quickly create a curve path around the waist of a character for a belt, or around the neck/arm for a necklace/bracelet. A curve can be easily created this way.  

But at the same time I want to use this curve as "Curves for draw with curves (splines), i.e. apply the "Spline" model stretched and copied along the curve. And here's the catch, the fun tool for creating using single points is lengthy as opposed to quickly applying a curve around the entire perimeter of the model.

So is there any way to transform a base curve into a curve designed for draw with curves (splines)?

Thank you very much for your help, I've been struggling with this for 4 days and I still can't find a solution, maybe it's not even possible and then it's a pity, thank you

Martin

2024-04-13-015221.png2024-04-13-015115.png

Edited by remark3d
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 3:10 AM, remark3d said:

So is there any way to transform a base curve into a curve designed for draw with curves (splines)?

You can take any model or your own and place it around an object between two or more Curves using the Replicator tool

image.png

Or place and multiply an object along a curve using the Array/Bend Volume tool

image.png

Hi Oleg, 
thanks for the reply.
Thanks for the tips, but this only results in the distribution of solid objects on the curve. I mean the pure deformation of predefined objects on the curve, this function exists, but it is not possible to link it with regular curves, it can only be defined using points.

That is, minimum deformation of an object with top/middle/bottom parts, for example a trouser belt with start and end.  Thus using the "draw with curves (splines)" tool but applying it to a curve created around the circumference of another object with the "cut slice with transform to curves" tool.

I also miss the "offset" option for "draw with curves (splines)", i.e. the distance from the object surface in the normal direction (currently there is only scale/rotation/shift.

So it's closer to the options like in Zbrush "IMM Curve Brushes"

Kind regards

Martin

However, the Array/Bend function is usable and sufficient for my needs, but the distribution is not so fast and it is necessary to fine-tune the object, its correct deformation, rotation position, etc. However, it is also possible to reach the result this way. 

But you can't use the top/middle/bottom - different lengths of the object, i.e. rotation/clinching of the central part of the pre-prepared object.

Thank you
Martin

2024-04-14-152330.png