3DCoat Forums

Voxel toggle mode

Mix Mash

Even though it is great to have 'unlimited' voxels when sculpting, it would be better if you can turn off voxels so that you can work with a limited mesh as well. Basically, you start with a voxel object, toggle off voxels which turns you object into a mesh, sculpt a bit, toggle voxels back on to add more geometry, then toggle voxels off again to sculpt with a mesh, etc.....

I find it sometimes more comfortable to work with a 'limited' mesh when sculpting because you get more control over what you are doing but having the option to 'turn on' voxels to add to the mesh makes things more powerful.

Just a thought.

Paul

(mix_mash)

• Advanced Member

Even though it is great to have 'unlimited' voxels when sculpting, it would be better if you can turn off voxels so that you can work with a limited mesh as well. Basically, you start with a voxel object, toggle off voxels which turns you object into a mesh, sculpt a bit, toggle voxels back on to add more geometry, then toggle voxels off again to sculpt with a mesh, etc.....

I find it sometimes more comfortable to work with a 'limited' mesh when sculpting because you get more control over what you are doing but having the option to 'turn on' voxels to add to the mesh makes things more powerful.

Just a thought.

Paul

(mix_mash)

In the voxel layers, there is an icon between the eye and the layer name, looks like the corner of a cube. if you click it it turns the voxels into a surface, and allows you to use a more limited set of tools that are mesh based, instead of voxel based.

It does not, re-voxelate after each stroke like the surface tools do when in voxel mode.

so --- maybe this helps with what you are hoping for? or if I've missed your point - then perhaps you can clarify.

In the voxel layers, there is an icon between the eye and the layer name, looks like the corner of a cube. if you click it it turns the voxels into a surface, and allows you to use a more limited set of tools that are mesh based, instead of voxel based.

It does not, re-voxelate after each stroke like the surface tools do when in voxel mode.

so --- maybe this helps with what you are hoping for? or if I've missed your point - then perhaps you can clarify.

Pretty close. If you press that button again, does it turn the mesh back into voxels or not?

• Advanced Member

Pretty close. If you press that button again, does it turn the mesh back into voxels or not?

yup - toggles back and forth - however you know you can export the voxel mesh as OBJ, and import as a refernce mesh right? does that help as part of a work flow? you can use meshes and voxels in retopo, you don't have to only use the voxels to retopo over.

Unless I'm missing something?

yup - toggles back and forth - however you know you can export the voxel mesh as OBJ, and import as a refernce mesh right? does that help as part of a work flow? you can use meshes and voxels in retopo, you don't have to only use the voxels to retopo over.

Unless I'm missing something?

Thanks, that's great. Tried it out. The mesh sculpting tools are a bit to be desired but I might be able to make something work.

Cheers,

Paul

• Advanced Member

Thanks, that's great. Tried it out. The mesh sculpting tools are a bit to be desired but I might be able to make something work.

Cheers,

Paul

So one note on this...

When you use the mesh tools in voxel mode, after each stroke, the mesh is adapted into the current voxel grid. So the stroke temporarily operates on the voxel's MESH.

When you use the mesh tools in mesh mode, the mesh stays, until you toggle back to voxel mode, OR export the mesh. (if you don't ever want it to be revoxelized, then you can export it from mesh mode, then import as reference mesh. I don't know how well this works in practice but at least in theory it is a possibility.

I am imagining there are times when you'd use pinch / smooth to get really crisp edges or something like that. or you want to close a mouth, but keep the surface from merging.