3DCoat Forums

non-additive depth painting without high/deep stroke behaviour

texturenaut

I bought 3dc last weekend cause I was so completely impressed with the improvements since I last checked it out (years ago). The painting tools are great, and well suited to game industry work. However I have a request that would simplify some of my workflow considerably.

I paint custom materials with depth and color onto a model. The depths are bassrelief, high frequency textures. When I paint with additive turned off, it will average, or in "cases of ambiguity pick the highest or deepest stroke". This is obviously working as intended, but I'd like a way to paint a naive replacement of depth values.

I could achieve a similar effect by deleting areas I'd like to paint into in advance, but thats quite time consuming. Additionally, it would be great if the layers depth had similar naive depth painting functionality along with the "add depth" and "subtract depth" etc options.

Thanks for a great program, regardless, I'll encourage my coworkers and friends to check it out.

-texturenaut

PS. image example attached

PPS. forum ate my post, apologies if theres double posting

post-4097-12913870837283_thumb.jpg

After a little digging I realized layer masking can achieve this in a _limited_ fashion.

If I have two layers, I can use the upper layer to mask the lower layer. This removes the lower layer's depth data from underneath, allowing only the top layer's depth to show, which is the desired effect.

Obviously when more than two layers are used this breaks down, because you can't link multiple layers as masks. Not that multiple mask linking would be a good way to achieve this.

If anyone can think of another way to do this, lemmie know.

-texturenaut