3DCoat Forums

Normals orientation

Bob Morane

As title and description says. Is it possible to flip the faces normals of an imported model in 3DC? I'm working on a model i sculpted/bashed together in 3DC then retopologized with a mix of 3DC retopo and Carrara modeling (as it's hard surface). I then exported the model as obj from Carrara and brought it back to 3DC for UV mapping but i have some "black" faces in UV view and i've noticed previously it's caused by wrong normal orientation (pointing inward).

Oh, BTW is it possible to bring a model from the UV room to the retopo room when it has multiple UV sets (i tried "use the curent low poly) in retopo menu but it only brought the top-most set to the retopo room.

Looks like i'm just talking to myself here :blink:

OK, considering this thread has been here for some time and nobody answered, i guess there is no way to visualize and correct normals in 3DCoat. Looks like a feature request.

As for the multi UV sets and retopo. Well, they do laod bu do not show because only one set is shown at a time. However it's possible to switch between sets by selecting one of the UV tools. I finally found it myself.

The strange UV was caused by bad topology with overlapping faces. I also learned this : when something strange happens while UVmapping, check your topology.

Hopefully this will help someone.