3DCoat Forums

How to merge cloned area of voxels?

CookieMonster

Hello everyone,

I've only started using 3dcoat since yesterday or so for voxels. I have created my character from curves, however some areas are not symmetrical, and to get the pure detail I want I have turned off symmetry.

This however leaves me with an issue with the ears, with or without symmetry I cannot create ears correctly for both sides of the head because the head isn't symmetrical.

I've cloned an ear and have ctrl+carved the rest of the head that was cloned that I didn't want. Now I have a floating ear in space and have no idea how to select that voxel mesh and merge it onto the other side of the head.

Thanks! =)

I'm not sure why symmetry did not work for you. My advice is to start over, with symmetry enabled across the x axis, rather than try to fix what you have now. (Working in 3D-Coat is so fast!).

But, it would be helpful if you posted a list of steps you took, initially, and when you first noticed a lack of symmetry. This will be educational for you and for us, as well.

Greg Smith

According to the reference planes I was using, the images themselves were not symmetrical on both sides, and to keep the shape of what I was modeling I turned off symmetry. Symmetry half worked when I turned it on for the head afterwards, except that the build/carve in/out details didn't work as well. It seems to have had half the effect on the right side and full effect on the left side which I was working on. I assume this was because the boundaries on both sides of the head weren't symmetrical in the beginning, so symmetry didn't form well to the right side when I had it on because the geometry placement was slightly different than to the other side.

I'd still like to know how to merge a floating area of voxels. So far I'm thinking I'll just do so after the retopology phase, importing to maya and fixing it there. This time, this is for the hands.

Thanks.